BSoD: System_Thread_Exception_Not_Handled (qcamain10x64.sys)

mrhoneyrabbit

Reputable
Aug 29, 2015
Hello there!

I have very recently aquired a (brand new) laptop (like 3 days ago), Acer Aspire V15 Nitro, with the following specifications:
Windows version: Windows 10 (64 bits) , 10.0, build: 10240
Hardware: Aspire VN7-571G, Acer
CPU: GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5500U CPU @ 2.40GHz Intel586, level: 6
4 logical processors, active mask: 15
RAM: 8500232192 bytes total
Graphic cards: NVIDIA GeForce 940M and Intel(R) HD Graphics 5500
(not sure we say "graphic card" in english, is it like graphic display instead?)

(not sure it is relevant here but I prefer providing as much info as I can)

Everything seemed fine. I then installed Windows 10. It still seemed fine, though. I use this laptop to play games and work (drawing with softwares), and everything seemed fine at first. I only use WiFi but never had any issue with it when I did so with my previous computer)
However, time to time - at random - a BSoD appears with the error message:

SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (qcamain10x64.sys)

It is difficult to determine when the error occurs, but it oftens happen when I play after maybe 30 minutes. It also occurs while I browse on the internet (without playing) and it also happened once as I was shutting down the PC.

Since it occurred, I tried several fixes. I am not so good with computers, so it's hard for me to determine the problem and how to solve it. So I updated drivers, mostly graphic cards as the researches focused on these. In my case, I tried different ways to update my NVIDIA GeForce 940M, including GeForce experience (I then learned it was not recommended). I also did the uninstalling (using DDU) and installing the graphic card back. It seemed to work, but it ended up leading to another BSoD, DPC_Watchdog_Violation. I searched again to solve this issue, but failed. It led my performances very low, as I had many "jumps" of lags in game. I then did a restoration of a previous restore point, hoping to completely get rid of this second problem, as it was much worse than the previous. This one was solved.

Now, I still have the SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (qcamain10x64.sys) even after a restore.
I tried several kind of fixes such as: sdc /scannow or CHKDSK C: /F /R
None found any issue. (as if nothing was wrong)

Since I feel pretty stuck and that a brand new computer shouldn't work that way, I would like to know if anyone knows what I should do to fix my computer, because I don't know what to do now.

Here is the dump file info (provided by WhoCrashed):

On Fri 28.08.2015 23:34:09 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: qcamain10x64.sys (0xFFFFF800B9A88D2A)
Bugcheck code: 0x7E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF800B9A88D2A, 0xFFFFD00171754748, 0xFFFFD00171753F60)
Error: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\qcamain10x64.sys
product: Driver for Atheros CB42/CB43/MB42/MB43 Network Adapter
company: Atheros Communications, Inc.
description: Atheros Extensible Wireless LAN device driver
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a system thread generated an exception that the error handler did not catch.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: qcamain10x64.sys (Atheros Extensible Wireless LAN device driver, Atheros Communications, Inc.).
Google query: Atheros Communications, Inc. SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

(it always displays the same error)

I did try to find the driver corresponding, but all I find is third party driver (I even tried to install one in the end, but it said it failed anyway). I checked on the website of Qualcomm Atheros ( http://www.qca.qualcomm.com/ ), but did not find it. Google search wasn't helpful neither.
Should I uninstall it and check for an update? Would Windows be able to find the driver again? Or may the issue be from something else? (I am not comfortable uninstalling something else than graphic driver since I'm not sure to find them again in case there is an issue; tell me if I shouldn't hesitate and see if this changes anything... I just am a bit scared to create yet another issue)
I would like to get rid of that BSoD, if anyone could please help me to find a way to solve this issue. My driver manager says the driver is up to date and that there is no issue with it.
(also, I'm not good with computers, so tell me if there is an information you need and the way I can provide it, if needed)

Thanks for your time.

PS: Sorry if my post is too long, I tried to make it as short as possible

mrhoneyrabbit

Reputable
Aug 29, 2015
Thanks for your answer!

I saw it too, but I do not have a killer wireless adapter. My wireless adapter is Qualcomm Atheros QCA61x4 Wireless Network Adapter.
(I also tried to install that one, I found third party matches only and the latest driver available failed; couldn't find any from the manufacturer's website)

mrhoneyrabbit

Reputable
Aug 29, 2015
Hello! Thanks for your answer.

First, thank you (again) for the link. I did not think the right way on looking on qualcomm atheros website directly; when it says manufacturer, I should have thought about Acer first. That was silly of me.
I have installed the concerned driver.

Since there was 2 similar files (one was NFA344 and the other NFA222), I installed the two, but apparently, NFA222 wasn't there previously in my computer. Is it bad to install a driver that was not previously there? I actually don't see it on the driver manager. However, there are now 2 new drivers (and since I didn't check while installing the correct atheros driver, I don't know which download added those):
Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network) #2
Bluetooth Device (RFCOMM Protocol TDI)

Should I feel worried or do they seem okay? Should I reinstall the correct driver, since both add the same name? Or should I leave them as they are?

Also, you asked about my BIOS version but I don't know if it's up do date.
The BIOS version is v.1.14, and the date is 08.01.2015. I do not actually know if it's the first of august or the 8th of january. In any case, it's 2015. Does it seem up to date?

Anyway, I will give a notice if the problem occurs again. I did not update each of my drivers except the one that seemed problematic, thinking that "if it doesn't need to be fixed, I won't touch it". I still kept the link you provided me in case another problem occurs. If the problem is still there, I will this time update every driver to see if it fixes it. If after a day or 2 I have no sign of the BSoD, I will flag this thread as solved. :) For now, I'll wait and see!

Thanks a lot for the help! =)

BIOS date, new machine design tend to have new BIOS updates pretty often.
The more custom the hardware (or newer), the more chances for problems that might have to be corrected by a BIOS update. I have seen motherboards that had 15 BIOS updates in a year. (most should only have a few updates)
----------
it will be ok, the driver will not be loaded until you actually have the hardware. It just takes up a little bit of space on your hard drive.

well, it is a stupid user interface design, the drivers will have different dates, but the dates and the version strings are not displayed. I generally go and remove the old driver from the driver store. Here is how using the pnputil.exe command:
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/Cc730875.aspx

or you can just do trial and error, you have two choices. The last time I messed with this I had 12 drivers for my network card and could not tell which was the most current. (intel has a lot of network card driver updates and they give the code to microsoft which also pushes out their version of the driver on windows update. I had 6 intel versions of the driver and 6 microsoft version of the driver all with the same name. Made me want to scream at the person who wrote the code)

mrhoneyrabbit

Reputable
Aug 29, 2015
Thank you for your time. It has been a full day with no error (except another blue screen but this one is not related it seems; I think this one is fixed), I played many hours of game without any sign of the Blue Screen of Death, so I think I'm good.
I did update more drivers and I checked about the BIOS date, it has the latest version available.

Thanks again. :)