Help me choose my headphones

GlenicoNico

Honorable
Dec 19, 2013
I'm upgrading my set up, and I'm looking for a new pair of headphones. I can't decide which one to get.

I've been considering the Audio Technica ATH-AD700X. It's budget friendly, over-ear, open-back, reviews are amazing. Should I get it?

Can you guys suggest me some open-back headphones?

Requirements:
Open-back
Over-ear
Around $250 (US)
From a well known brand (For example: Sennheiser, Audio Technica, Grado, Sony, Beyerdynamic, AKG)

Any answer will be appreciated. :)

Solution
Are you sure you want a pair of neutral headphones for those genres? I would think something a little more "fun" sounding (v shape with emphasis on bass and treble) would be a better choice. Some headphones that fit that criteria:

-Hifiman HE 400

-Beyerdynamic DT 990 PROs

-Phillips Fidelio X2

Headphones that have the neutral sound signature you mentioned. Might sound boring to some compared to the more vibrant and full sounding open backs mentioned above:

-Audio Technica ATH AD 900X

-AKG K701/K702

-AKG Q701

-AKG K612 PRO

-Hifiman HE 400S

-Beyerdynamic DT 880 PRO

Note that an external amplifier may also be needed to drive some of the headphones mentioned depending on your setup.

Personally I would go for the HE 400...
If you can get lucky you might score the Philips Fidelio X2 on sale for $250. Amazon had sale in summer when I got mine. Otherwise, I'd get the Sennheiser 598.

Also you might want to get a DAC/AMP like FiiO E10k, no matter what headset you get it will help tremendously. Best $85 i spent in upgrading my audio.

GlenicoNico

Honorable
Dec 19, 2013

Oh wow that thing looks great! Thanks for the recommendation! and yes, I've been considering the 598, but the style, it doesn't match my set up. I LOVE the look of the 598, but I don't think it'll fit well for my setup. The Philips Fidelio X2 is definitely in list now. :)

GlenicoNico

Honorable
Dec 19, 2013

I want a big sound stage feel and a flat sound. I listen to alternative, pop, rap most of the time. No, I'm not looking for a pair of headphones that is for/good for gaming. I want a solid open-back audiophile grade headphones. I do game once in a while, but If the headphones are just all around good, I will assume it will be good for gaming.

RazerZ

Judicious
Ambassador
Are you sure you want a pair of neutral headphones for those genres? I would think something a little more "fun" sounding (v shape with emphasis on bass and treble) would be a better choice. Some headphones that fit that criteria:

-Hifiman HE 400

-Beyerdynamic DT 990 PROs

-Phillips Fidelio X2

Headphones that have the neutral sound signature you mentioned. Might sound boring to some compared to the more vibrant and full sounding open backs mentioned above:

-Audio Technica ATH AD 900X

-AKG K701/K702

-AKG Q701

-AKG K612 PRO

-Hifiman HE 400S

-Beyerdynamic DT 880 PRO

Note that an external amplifier may also be needed to drive some of the headphones mentioned depending on your setup.

Personally I would go for the HE 400. Originally cost $400 when they came out, now discontinued and are $250. Get to experience planar magic at a reasonable price. Only problem is that they use proprietary screw in connectors for their cables and are on the heavy side.

Solution
if you dont like the look of the hd598, you could go with the hd558. the whole lineup there uses the same drivers.. but different enclosures so sound is similar but not quite as refined. the 518/558/598 are easy to listen to for long hours , are neutral sounding yet have a little more low end than the ad-series or akg cans.

if in budget.. and if you have a decent soundcard or can get an amplifier the dt990 is excellent.