Easiest way to swap parts between two computers?

headless89

Reputable
Aug 29, 2014
I just received a new desktop that is in most ways more powerful than the one I own now. Let me lay down some specs before getting into the problem.

Current:
i3-2100
GTX 470
8GB RAM

New:
i5-XXXX
GTX 780
16GB RAM

They both run Win7. I really want the processor and GPU from the new build, and will probably take the RAM while I'm at it. My problem is that I don't know the best way to go about this. Would it be easier just to put my hard drives in the new build? Will I have any problems with Windows if I do?

headless89

Reputable
Aug 29, 2014

Well, I have all my data on my old drives. And rather than go through the process of a fresh windows install, I'm wondering if it would cause problems to swap my current drive into the new rig.

Gene Razak

Honorable
Oct 11, 2012
Like Getochkn said, you may well be using a different mainboard so you'll probably need to change more than just GPU drivers.
You could take your old computer apart and start messing around until everything works but installing Windows 7 on the new build will probably a lot easier. It's an easy installation anyway.
After that you can plug in your old HDDs to move your data. By the sound of it you have at least two so you could leave the secondary in your new computer for capacity and fewer files to copy and put the primary back into your old computer. That way you'll still have your old computer should you ever need it, i.e. when the new one has issues.