Want to move Windows 10 OS to an SSD, but I don't have a product key to reenter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tj Wiley

Reputable
May 14, 2014
So, like the title says, I want to move my OS to a new SSD, however, I don't have a product key of any kind for Windows 10. I got the free upgrade from Windows 8, so it didn't send me anything. I ran one of those programs to find it in my motherboard, but it couldn't find it; I looked up the specific error that I got and it meant that it isn't linked to my motherboard. So what should I do in this case?

Thanks!

Solution

You have 2 options:

1. Download the ISO and uncompress it to a DVD or USB flash drive and install.
2. Clone the drive with would require cloning software and a HD bay or external drive enclosure to clone to.

You don need a key because Windows 10 doesn't use a key unless you purchase the retail version. The upgrade...

Tj Wiley

Reputable
May 14, 2014
I didn't use Magic Jelly Bean, I used some software that was on the Microsoft forums. And I also don't have a program to transfer the OS with. What would you recommend?

orlbuckeye

Distinguished

You have 2 options:

1. Download the ISO and uncompress it to a DVD or USB flash drive and install.
2. Clone the drive with would require cloning software and a HD bay or external drive enclosure to clone to.

You don need a key because Windows 10 doesn't use a key unless you purchase the retail version. The upgrade activates Windows 10 for your hardware when you upgrade. It store the information on the MS server. When you do a clean install a key isn't needed although you may be asked for one.

Solution

orlbuckeye

Distinguished

Windows 10 doesn't embed a key. Windows 8 and 7 did on OEM machines sold by OEM's.

Status
Not open for further replies.