Software settings lost after booting into Safe Mode?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PsykoTenshi

Honorable
Nov 18, 2012
A couple days ago I used safe mode to fix a startup program causing a bsod. Possibly worth noting: I had to use a bootable Windows 10 USB, use the repair options, enter the "BCDEDIT /SET {DEFAULT} BOOTMENUPOLICY LEGACY" command, to then use F8 to access boot options and safe mode.

The problem I'm facing now is some other (not all, fortunately), unrelated programs (or apps or whatever MS feels it's trendy to call them) are showing up as if they were just installed. Anything that's user settings was reset.

I don't regularly use safe mode, so my questions are:
- Is safe mode known for resetting software to default/factory settings?
- If yes, what would be an efficient way to prevent it? Maybe backup the relevant data and restore it after using safe mode?
(I would do this but I have no idea what does safe mode reset, assuming safe mode is to blame)
- If safe mode does not reset anything, what could have caused my settings to be lost in the Warp? Enabling the "legacy" (F8-friendly) boot shouldn't have anything to do with this... right?
Most notably, Launchy and BitTorrentSync were reset to "just installed" state. There might be more I just didn't run yet.

Thanks for any help :)

Solution

It has happened to me at times, but exceedingly rarely. I can't say for sure besides my own anecdoe.

- If yes, what would be an efficient way to prevent it? Maybe backup the relevant data and restore it after using safe mode?

You could try System Restore, which would revert application changes made.

- If safe mode does not reset anything, what could have caused my settings to be lost in the Warp?

I would refer to your nearest Transmechanic for issues pertaining to the Machine Spirit of your altar to the Omnissiah. Kidding aside, it's possible that the AppData folder, which is where many applications store their settings, was somehow modified.

Slashgeek

Admirable

It has happened to me at times, but exceedingly rarely. I can't say for sure besides my own anecdoe.

You could try System Restore, which would revert application changes made.

- If safe mode does not reset anything, what could have caused my settings to be lost in the Warp?

I would refer to your nearest Transmechanic for issues pertaining to the Machine Spirit of your altar to the Omnissiah. Kidding aside, it's possible that the AppData folder, which is where many applications store their settings, was somehow modified.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS