How to boot from PCIe drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jomak123

Reputable
Mar 10, 2014
I have an HP Envy Desktop that boots off the HDD when I bought it, but loads to my PCIe SSD cuz that is where I have windows 10. How do I get it to boot directly on my PCIe SSD? It's an OCZ R4 CM88 1,6TB SSD. The BIOS are set to boot from SSD first, but it continues to boot from HDD as I see the HP logo everytime no matter what boot order I select. I tried EasyBCD 2.2 and that didn't work...Any advice?

Solution
That's almost what I said. To make it clear
1) The POST runs from the motherboard and displays an image stored on your motherboard. If that's where the HP logo comes from , you are stuck with it. Two tests: One, if you know BIOS well enough, watch it boot and see if the logo comes up before POST completes. Two, remove all HDDs and boot to BIOS. If you see the logo, it's before you get to a disk.
You can't change this by changing disks; it happens before a disk is used.
2) The boot then proceeds to the boot sector of a bootable drive, which loads the boot loader from that drive. My theory is that your Win10 installation saw the boot sector and loader on the HDD and did not install them on the SSD.
Note that this is after the...
If the HDD was in the system when you installed Windows on the SSD, then the installation used the existing boot sector on the hard drive. Simplest solution is to disconnect all drives but the ssd and then start up the installation process to do a repair.

Warning: This worked in Win7. I haven't tried it in 8 or 10, so I'm not sure that you don't have to do a whole new install.

Also, can you post a Disk Management snapshot so I can be sure that I'm not talking out of the wrong orifice? The logo you see might be in the BIOS, after all.

jomak123

Reputable
Mar 10, 2014

Hey thanks, a few things you should know. I bought the Envy with W7. I loaded W10 on the PCIe SSD. So the only place 10 exists is on the PCIe SSD. I am guesiing it is using that boot sector on the HDD to boot the HP BIOS or logo and then to PCIe on user screen? Maybe some of W10 lives on it???

That's almost what I said. To make it clear
1) The POST runs from the motherboard and displays an image stored on your motherboard. If that's where the HP logo comes from , you are stuck with it. Two tests: One, if you know BIOS well enough, watch it boot and see if the logo comes up before POST completes. Two, remove all HDDs and boot to BIOS. If you see the logo, it's before you get to a disk.
You can't change this by changing disks; it happens before a disk is used.
2) The boot then proceeds to the boot sector of a bootable drive, which loads the boot loader from that drive. My theory is that your Win10 installation saw the boot sector and loader on the HDD and did not install them on the SSD.
Note that this is after the POST process which runs in the BIOS.
3) The boot loader then loads the OS, in this case the Win10 on the SSD.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.