Choosing Certifications Help!

Nick68

Reputable
Aug 26, 2015
I have just graduated with an Associate’s degree in Network Security and would like to start studying for some certifications. I have two vouchers from my college to use that I received with my online training labs. One is for the Cisco Certified Network Associate, and the other is for the TestOut Security Pro. I am not quite sure which route I should take. Do I continue with these two certifications or go for the CompTIA first? I know that the CompTIA is a good starting point, but I have heard it is a waste of time…What do you think? Also, I have just landed my first job that is an IT help desk technician. Not sure if that makes any difference but just thought I would through it out there.

noriel

Reputable
Sep 30, 2015
If I were you, I would focus on Network certifications, CISCO to be specific. Let your boss or employer know that you have passion and knowledge on networks and ask them to pass some network related tickets on you if possible. Gather some info of your company's network and study it if you can. Take your CCNA.

Nick68

Reputable
Aug 26, 2015

Thank you! Much appreciated!