Problem copying files, stuck at 99%

Status
Not open for further replies.

RcPro97

Reputable
Oct 20, 2014
Hi everyone. I have a gaming rig I bought a month ago. It wasn't set up right, so I'm formatting the drives and starting from scratch. I'm trying to copy 60GB of stuff to a external drive before I wipe it. It's been going for about 6 hours now and stuck at 99%. It says that there is 0 bites remaining, and 25 seconds. It's stuck there and won't change. Should I just cancel it, because 0 bites are remaining I assume everything is there.

Solution
Hello,

This is a common problem in any Windows version when attempting to copy multiple files or large files. You may try to attempt what has been mentioned in this old forum thread
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1898085/file-transfers-external-drives-wont-complete.html

OR

You may use a copy handler. A copy handler is a shell extension that intercepts any attempts to copy/move files and implements the operations itself. Normally these copy handlers are made to implement features that Explorer doesn't have, like queuing up multiple operations, different overwriting semantics or synchronization, speed throttling, etc. Some tools you can look at include FastCopy, TeraCopy, SuperCopier, and the imaginatively named Copy Handler.

Slashgeek

Admirable
Hello,

This is a common problem in any Windows version when attempting to copy multiple files or large files. You may try to attempt what has been mentioned in this old forum thread
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1898085/file-transfers-external-drives-wont-complete.html

OR

You may use a copy handler. A copy handler is a shell extension that intercepts any attempts to copy/move files and implements the operations itself. Normally these copy handlers are made to implement features that Explorer doesn't have, like queuing up multiple operations, different overwriting semantics or synchronization, speed throttling, etc. Some tools you can look at include FastCopy, TeraCopy, SuperCopier, and the imaginatively named Copy Handler.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.