Computer gets stuck for a second since SSD installed

Status
Not open for further replies.

LilProphet2015

Reputable
Feb 22, 2015
Hey, hopefully I post in the correct topic.

2 weeks ago I bought an Intenso 128Gb SSD, and I installed Windows 10 on it. I also have a 250Gb Seagate HDD (freshly formatted). A few days ago I noticed that sometimes (in every 5-10 minutes or so), the computer gets stuck for a second, both the display and the sound. No matter what I do, or if I use the HDD or not. I know it's not that big deal, but I haven't had any issues like this before, what can be the problem? It looks like something that can happen when overclocking, but I'm at stock values. Thanks for any suggestions.

Config: i5-750 stock, 8Gb RAM, HD6970, 128Gb Intenso SSD, 250Gb Seagate HDD

Solution
Hey there, LilProphet2015!

Did you unplug the HDD from the motherboard's SATA port when you installed Windows onto the SSD? If you had both storage drives plugged in, you might want to consider re-installing with only the solid-state drive connected to the motherboard. Having more than one drive connected usually results in OS confusion, which could explain the booting issues.
But first, I'd suggest you to check SATA mode of the SSD in BIOS and make sure it's set to AHCI, instead of IDE. I'd also recommend you to check the motherboard's website for any updates in the SATA/chipset drivers for your model.

Give it a try and let me know it goes! Good luck! :)
SuperSoph_WD
Hey there, LilProphet2015!

Did you unplug the HDD from the motherboard's SATA port when you installed Windows onto the SSD? If you had both storage drives plugged in, you might want to consider re-installing with only the solid-state drive connected to the motherboard. Having more than one drive connected usually results in OS confusion, which could explain the booting issues.
But first, I'd suggest you to check SATA mode of the SSD in BIOS and make sure it's set to AHCI, instead of IDE. I'd also recommend you to check the motherboard's website for any updates in the SATA/chipset drivers for your model.

Give it a try and let me know it goes! Good luck! :)
SuperSoph_WD

Solution

LilProphet2015

Reputable
Feb 22, 2015

Thank you for the suggestions. The HDD was plugged in during the install, but there's nothing wrong with booting. I formatted the HDD after the install, and the PC boots straight into the recently installed OS, like a thunder. The main problem is that the whole PC hangs for a second sometimes, but honestly I haven't noticed it for an hour or two now. It mostly can be recognized by the sound, as it freezes too. I will check the BIOS settings you suggested, thanks once again.

Status
Not open for further replies.