MSI Updates Gaming Notebooks With Intel Skylake CPUs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gutiari

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
The main one we are concerned about is the GT80 Titan. Please let us know if/when they will refresh this laptop with Skylake, and what processor will they use.

For those of you who are are up to date with the Intel's mobile processors, the GT80 Titan is currently equipped with the Broadwell i7-5950HQ. If MSI will replace that processor with the Skylake i7-6700HQ, then it would be questionable refresh. The i7-5950HQ is superior to the Skylake i7-6700HQ in speed (300 MHz more Base & 200-600 MHz more Turbo Clock), but the i7-5950HQ is inferior in that it does not support DDR4, and consumes SLIGHTY more power, exactly 2 watts more (which is peanuts).

In my professional opinion, it would be a bad decision to refresh the GT80 Titan with the latest Skylake mobile processor, and they should continue to use the Broadwell mobile processor and sacrifice the support for DDR4. Everyone has their own opinions, however I feel that the increased processor speed that the Broadwell i7-5950HQ has over it's Sylake successor to be more significant, and it's not worth sacrificing that processor speed just to gain DDR4 support.

If you agree with me, like this comment. If you disagree, feel free to dislike this comment.

For a full comparison of the processors, you can view it here:
http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/7/Intel_Core_i7_Mobile_i7-5950HQ_vs_Intel_Core_i7_Mobile_i7-6700HQ.html

twoc

Honorable
Apr 8, 2013
I believe that the reason they will stop using the 5950hq is due to quality control issues. There are many other MSI laptops that were supposed to offer the 5950hq (as seen on the MSI website), such as the GS30 and GS60, but they never got sold due to what I believe are supply issues. If Intel is releasing a more reliable manufacturing process for the new chip, and it's similar in price and performance, MSI will have no choice but to select the CPU that is actually obtainable.

hst101rox

Reputable
Aug 28, 2014
They could ship new GT80s with a 6820K unlocked Skylake chip, but also have less expensive trims that have a locked CPU.
I hope the MSI laptop(s) that can come with the 6820K will have an AC adapter that can handle the power requirements of an overclocked CPU and the GPU fully taxed. 240w at least.
Back a few years ago, MSI thought 180w was enough... and Alienware recently now (early 2015 laptops) but they've fixed their ways I think.

Gutiari

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
They could ship new GT80s with a 6820K unlocked Skylake chip, but also have less expensive trims that have a locked CPU.
I hope the MSI laptop(s) that can come with the 6820K will have an AC adapter that can handle the power requirements of an overclocked CPU and the GPU fully taxed. 240w at least.
Back a few years ago, MSI thought 180w was enough... and Alienware recently now (early 2015 laptops) but they've fixed their ways I think.

the i7-6820k is a desktop processor. desktop processors will not go into mobile devices. for intel's line up of mobile processors, check this link: http://images.anandtech.com/doci/9582/106%20-%2045W%20SKL-H%20i7i5i3.jpg

Gutiari

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
I believe that the reason they will stop using the 5950hq is due to quality control issues. There are many other MSI laptops that were supposed to offer the 5950hq (as seen on the MSI website), such as the GS30 and GS60, but they never got sold due to what I believe are supply issues. If Intel is releasing a more reliable manufacturing process for the new chip, and it's similar in price and performance, MSI will have no choice but to select the CPU that is actually obtainable.

let's just hope they ship the GT80's with i7-6920HQ that is listed here! :)

http://images.anandtech.com/doci/9582/106%20-%2045W%20SKL-H%20i7i5i3.jpg

hst101rox

Reputable
Aug 28, 2014

I meant to say 6820HK, a mobile Skylake chip that is unlocked.
And, the new Alienware 18 laptop for late 2015 supports the 4790K socketed Desktop CPU, 88w TDP. All their new laptops are still Haswell it looks like except the 13, which is Broadwell. So MSI is at Skylake but Alienware is behind, but, has gave Intel the finger at offering a socketed desktop CPU in a laptop.

Gutiari

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008

let's just hope they ship the GT80's with i7-6920HQ that is listed here! :)

http://images.anandtech.com/doci/9582/106%20-%2045W%20SKL-H%20i7i5i3.jpg

Offthericta

Reputable
Sep 21, 2015
Keep reading they have the 6720 which is going to be about 4ghz, but as the dominator pro being 2800 $for that version... And i dont think we are all waiting for the gt80 seeing as the dominator pro being questionable as is it... Gt 80, just buy a 5860k x99 supercomputer for that price

twoc

Honorable
Apr 8, 2013

From what I gather, gsync isn't compatible with Optimus graphics. But they want to maintain portability for these models, so to prolong battery life, they have chosen to go with Optimus graphics for these models. Gsync doesn't use more power than a discrete card, but integrated uses less power.

"Q: Does G-SYNC work with Optimus technology?
A: G-SYNC currently does not work with Optimus technology." http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/g-sync/faq#q17

Status
Not open for further replies.