Reccomended case & power supply under £60 for my gaming build.

Nareandir

Reputable
Aug 31, 2015
Im building a gaming desktop :
Intel I5-4690k
GTX 960 EVGA SSC
WesternDigital 1tb Black
Kingston 8GB DDR3 1600mhz CL10 HyperXFury
MSI B85-G41-PCMate

The page im using : http://www.techradar.com/news/computing/pc/build-it-the-best-gaming-pc-under-500-1289573
It reccomended me to use the :Cooler Master CM FORCE 500

But the power supply is low quality and i don't want to use that case can you reccomended any cases and a power supply that would fit in the case. The case + power supply must be under £60 as I have a limited budget.

I wouldn't recommend that motherboard with that CPU. It most likely needs a BIOS update prior being able to boot that CPU, also it is a non-overclocking motherboard. You can save some cash if you're not overclocking by getting a cheaper non-K CPU, otherwise you should get a Z97-based motherboard.
I also would recommend getting CL 9 ram memory, it would cost about the same only would be a little bit faster. You probably will not notice the difference but you might as well get the fastest option available if it costs the same.

Before recommendign a PSU you have to choose if you are going to overclock or not, because overclocking requires a high quality PSU, where a non-overclocking build can suffice with a normal/standard quality PSU.

For the case I would choose the cheapest available, you can't really go wrong with a case. Just make sure it is an ATX case to fit you motherboard.

Nareandir

Reputable
Aug 31, 2015
I'm not planning on overclocking the CPU although I might overclock the gpu a little just to get some extra juice out of it. I'm a bit of a rookie(this is my first build) so could you reccomend me a MB that would work with other parts in this build. As for the size of the case is any mid sized case OK?

May I offer a suggestion? From your initial list, I modified several parts to make it better. Hopefully, it'll fit your budget (with the exception of the monitor, operating system, and other peripherals).

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor (£141.54 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: MSI H97M-E35 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£59.93 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Blue 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£32.56 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£52.59 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£38.70 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 4GB SuperSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card (£194.24 @ CCL Computers)
Case: Xigmatek Spirit M MicroATX Mini Tower Case (£24.16 @ CCL Computers)
Power Supply: XFX TS 550W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply (£37.99 @ Amazon UK)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer (£9.36 @ CCL Computers)
Total: £591.07
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-09-02 18:05 BST+0100

Since you mentioned that you are not planning to overclock your CPU, then, I adjusted the part from the unlocked i5-4690k (which costs about £180) to a locked i5-4460 CPU (this adjustment will save you about £40). At the same time, I also adjusted your choice of HDD which was the WD 1TB Black (which costs about £60) to the more common WD 1TB Blue (this adjustment saved you about £20). With that total savings of £60, I was able to throw in a highly-rated top-tier 120GB Solid State Drive (SSD). You can then use this SSD as your primary/system drive (to install your OS) so that boot times would be faster (and avoid partitioning your single HDD). You can then use the 1TB HDD for general storage.

For the motherboard, as mentioned by bootcher, a B85 chipset might/would encounter some incompatibility with the Haswell Refresh CPU's (such as our i5 selection) and would need a BIOS update to make it run (hopefully). So, to eliminate the hassle and risks, I changed your motherboard to an H97 chipset so that the CPU can work out of the box. I specifically selected a Micro-ATX (mATX) format to save on costs and assumed you will not be using too much I/O ports/connections extensively.

The motherboard only features 2 DIMM slots for your RAM sticks at a maximum total capacity of 16GB. I have included only 1x8GB stick (as per your original selection). 8GB should suffice in the mean time. You may then buy another 1x8GB stick (of the same brand/model and speed) in the far future if needed to go to the max. 16GB.

For your case and power supply unit (PSU), I budget it according to your requirement. Both cost a total of £62.15 (the excess of £2.15 came from the savings from the CPU and HDD adjustments). I selected a case mini-tower case that would fit your mATX motherboard perfectly. The PSU is a Tier-Two rated brand and model (XFX TS Series which are also provided by Seasonic). The 550W should suffice to power your system, including the GTX 960 EVGA SSC graphics card (which I upgraded to a 4GB VRAM version, instead of the 2GB version).

I also threw in a DVD/CD Writer, but excluded the other peripherals as I do not know if that is still included in your project.

Hope these suggestions would help you. Good luck in your build!

Nareandir

Reputable
Aug 31, 2015
Thank you for the recommended build, i decided to go for the one you reccomended (look up) although i cannot afford the SSD (yet) but i will definitely buy one when good time (money time) comes and decided to opt out for the 2gb version of the 960 as its the only way to make this fit into my budget

TRENDING THREADS