Convincing Parents for Gaming PC

DarkHarsher

Reputable
Jul 22, 2015
I really want to build a gaming pc. Now my I brought this up to my parents and my mother really doesn't like the idea. My dad will go with what makes my mother is happy with. Now I explained to them that this is kinda expensive but to upgrade later on is even more expensive than it would be to buy it all now. Also, I told them how I want to play newer games but I can't because I can only play on the 21.5 inch iMac we have. Now my dad has access to his company's high specs pc and allowed me to use them to test them out. The specs for pc is (I don't know all of the specific parts): Intel Core i7 4790K Corsair Vengeance Pro 32 GB Nvidia Geforce GTX 980 My mom wouldn't allow me to build the pc because: 1. I will be only using it on holidays and weekends for gaming. 2. I'm going to be tempted to play games and argue with my mom to let me play because I finished my homework. 3. It's kinda on the expensive side and I'm only going to be using it for gaming and schoolwork. 4. And if I'm only going to use it for the weekend, why not play for free using the super computer at my dad's office. Now point 2 is not going to happen because my mom always exaggerates. What's wrong with point 4 is that I don't want to go to the office and just play games because I don't want to look poor and be embarrassed by my friends. Can you please give me advice on how to convince my parents to let me build this gaming pc?
Here is the link for the build:http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/Zz3BnQ

UPDATE: I read all of your replies. Now here's the thing, I want this PC to last me years without upgrading. If I bring up to my mom that it's going to be for school, she's going to ask if it's for gaming. I don't wanna lie and even if I do, my dad will find out, because he knows stuff about PCs. I'm 14 years old and I live in Dubai, UAE. I worked at my dad's office for summer and earned some money. I also have money in my debit bank account, which I'm not sure if I can use or not, but I don't want to ask because I want to show my mom that I don't really care because if I ever do something bad, she'll say no it the PC. My mom understands that PC Building is an experience and all that, but she says I can do it at a lower cost. I have more than half the amount in my account for the PC. I'm not sure how to prove to my mom I can have this but my idea was get amazing grades, not go on my laptop that much, and show that she can trust me not to play games during the weekdays. Now I'm not sure if that's a good idea, but I'd like to know what you guys think. My progress report card will come during November or December.

Thank you guys so much for the replies, I really appreciate it.

Milheim

Reputable
Sep 2, 2015
Who's paying for it? I built my first PC for gaming when I was 16 and the only stipulation was that I work for, and earn the money, to pay for it myself. Fortunately, I made mostly straight A's throughout school and my parents weren't concerned about it impacting my education. All parents are different, and there's no one-size-fits-all answer, but if you're willing to earn the cash and work towards something that you really want, your parents may get on board with the idea as it's a valuable life lesson. Good luck!

nomadicwarrior

Reputable
Aug 11, 2015
How old are you? Will you be doing your GCSEs any time soon? If so, I'd try to convince your mother into thinking it would be mainly to help with course work, homework, school projects etc. Don't mention the gaming side ever again.

Oh! and don't smirk whilst you're looking at her.

well that is what I go up against... my solution was to buy cheap computers and mod them until they met my needs. and also go for dump runs to find parts. perhaps you could please the price aspect by dropping to an i5 4690K and a z97 board, which will perform just as well. that is a bout all I could suggest besides doing what I did for many years.

KKAW

Admirable

Hey, i see what you are going through, here are a few things that may help you out! What games do you play,

1. Make the build cheaper, i mean unless you are going to be playing ultra with 150fps your build is a bit of an overkill for your monitor. Check it out, this will do you great:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($329.99 @ NCIX)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Nepton 120XL 76.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($98.59 @ Newegg Canada)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($179.99 @ Memory Express)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($95.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($57.94 @ DirectCanada)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 390 8GB Double Dissipation Black Edition Video Card ($471.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($139.99 @ Canada Computers)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GS 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($119.98 @ NCIX)
Monitor: Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" Monitor ($339.00 @ Canada Computers)
Total: $1833.44
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-09-02 11:39 EDT-0400

2. Show your passion about custom PC Building, tell her it's a skill you can earn and the different things you have learnt while researching about parts.

3. Make a contract or deal with her telling her you will only use the PC around 2 hours a day or something of that sort.

DHFF

Honorable
Sep 18, 2012
Well if this is mainly for game use and you will only be using it periodically then I would say your mom is right. you might not want to hear it but if she is paying for it, then you need to respect that its a huge investment for something she will not get any use out of.

Things you could do would start will offering to help pay for it. if you are old enough, look for a job and contribute part of your paycheck.
you could also lower the specs. You do not need a 980 and 32 gigs of RAM. You could save hung reds, even a thousand dollars off that build by cutting the RAM in half, lowering the GPU a notch and Getting an i5 (which would stick rock every game out there)

shaving a lot off the price tag and offering to pay for it will go a long way to showing you are responsible enough for this machine.

KKAW

Admirable

ye got a lot of typos ;)

Anyways, +1 on this. I would say if you have a great PC in your dad's office just use it in the weekends and just use your iMac on weekdays.

I don't know how young you are but showing off to friends means nothing in a year or two. Try to look at the big picture instead of just focusing on your own needs. Your mom has lived longer than you and has valid reasons why she would rather not purchase a pricey PC so that her son can "not look poor"

Anyways i totally understand your stand point so try out the other tips i gave you before and best of luck! PC Building is an exciting journey.

Save up your money kid, there isn't anything we can say that is going to convince your parents to get this for you. Look at getting a cheaper setup, right now you got some really expensive items so make it a little more realistic and when you buy this with your own money it will have a little more meaning to you than something that was bought from the parents.

My advice, although I don't know where you live, is to mow grass. You can make around $20-$25 an hour.

^ where do you mow grass for that much per hour? if that was so, I would already have a monopoly on lawn mowing in my tri state area. I would expect more like 10-15 per hour. but that still beats a lot of jobs, especially if it is a riding lawn mower.

It generally takes about an hour to mow a lawn with a regular push mower, so set your asking price at around $25 dollars a yard and there ya go. Of course depending on the size of the houses in your neighborhood the amount of time will be different. I found that a typical suburban yard is around 45-60 minutes.