Clutch and gear problem, Serious?

Abhishek1025

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
I own a 2009 Hyundai i20 magna model. Manual gears,Without ABS,petrol. The car has only clocked 9300kms so far.. For past few months, The car after driving around 15 km stops on the middle of the road.. the clutch gets weird and hard.. Thereby Even if i apply any gear to the car , It treats it as Neutral gear.. The car wont budge.. I then hav to open the bonnet , and let the car cool down. and then i'm good to go.. Y is this happening?

I hav discussed this problem with Hyundai Service Centers..They couldn't understand the problem as they found everything normal They changed the clutch plate, Clutch cylinder..,Changed every oil,chkd the radiator.. But the still the problem persist .. although not regularly..But yes.. I'm scared to drive on the highways,as this ios a serious issue i feel.

When you say the car "stops" do you mean the engine shuts off while driving? Is the engine overheating?

If the car is that new, I would contact Hyundai directly, not a dealership, and explain what is happening. The car is so new they might just call it a total loss and get you a new one.

Abhishek1025

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011

The engine doesn't overheat as there is no such indication inside the dashboard.. Floats around 80/85 degrees.yes the car engine shuts off while driving.. I don't know what to tell the Hyundai about the exact issue..
Thanks appreciate your response.

where the fluid reservoir is located [most times on the firewall ] and trace the lines to the transmissions bellhousing where the clutch master cylinder is and see if there too close to the exhaust manifold/pipe - the excess heat from that can boil the fluid and cause this issue [I had 2 ford 1 ton trucks that had this due to that ]

just ziptieing the line back to a spot that kept it away from a heat and made a heatshilding for them resolved

like you it worked fine when cool until things got heated up

anyway that what we found to be there issue with the clutches on them

to explain this better -- if its a hydraulic clutch system it works from pressure so you mash the pedal puts pressure on the slave and disengages the clutch

so it the high heat expands the fluid it will start to increase pressure to the line and cause the clutch to adjust to that as in it may start to cause a disengagement /slipping just like you added pressure when mashing the pedal [ you notice how little you have to press the clutch pedal for it to start slipping ] it don't take much now things are now like if you pressed the pedal so when you do press the pedal its hard cause its all ready pressured up from the heat expansion of the fluid