Slow computer, please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

chaoh312

Reputable
Sep 2, 2015
I got this computer about a year ago and it was running amazing, i was able to play anything on max graphics without any issues. About a month ago it just stopped running as it should, it wont run games at a decent fps even on the lowest graphic settings...

I also reset my computer to factory state and had to reinstall everything, resetting it did not help at all. I also scan my computer with ESET once a week.

GPU: Geforce GTX 760
CPU: Intel Core i5-4690k CPU @ 3.50GHZ
Memory: 8:00GB RAM (7.90 GB usable)
Driver Version: 353.62

Solution

I think I know exactly what's happened. Try updating your drivers to a windows 10 driver, because...

British_and_Proud

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013

I think I know exactly what's happened. Try updating your drivers to a windows 10 driver, because for me when I upgraded, it changed to a Microsoft driver which made it perform very badly.

If you have an NVIDIA card, download their "Windows 10" driver, and it should fix it. If not, then try what is mentioned below.

Solution

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Nowhere near enough information. All we know from that is that you have an i5-4690k with 8GB of memory.

Need the rest of the system specs. GPU (if applicable), Operating System, power supply, drivers, etc. What you are trying to run?

If you are completely tech illiterate you will probably have better luck taking the system to your local PC repair shop.

Normally I would suspect viruses or malware interfering with the system. Possible driver or Windows update issues. Incorrect setup of games or drivers. And lastly potential hardware failure.

seeingeyegod

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009
What do you mean by "I also reset the computer"? Do you mean you did a factory restore to original settings using a backup image on the hard drive or a disk? Is this a major brand like Dell/HP or a "clone" PC store/homebuilt machine?

chaoh312

Reputable
Sep 2, 2015

This helped a little bit but im still having issues

chaoh312

Reputable
Sep 2, 2015

Yes it was factory reset and it was built.

chaoh312

Reputable
Sep 2, 2015

I updated the information a bit, im kind of clueless as to where to find this information so im doing my best (i used Nvidia geforce experience to get that information, but CPU-Z says i also have a Intel HD Graphics 4600...what ever that is supposed to mean) and i am willing to go in to get it fixed, was just curious if there was anything i could do.

British_and_Proud

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013

With most Intel cores, there is a built in Intel HD Graphics. It is possible your computer has switched it around.
If it has, navigate to Device Manager, and then under display adapters right click "Intel HD Graphics XXXX" and click disable. If this causes a black screen, shut the computer down and boot into safe mode, and re-enable Intel HD Graphics. Do you have an Intel version of GeForce experience? If you do, you could try disabling it from there.

chaoh312

Reputable
Sep 2, 2015

I did as you said and i disabled Intel HD Graphics, it made my first monitor go black screen but my 2nd one didnt change, so i enabled it again and then i disabled NVIDIA GEForce GTX and nothing happened to either one of my monitors

seeingeyegod

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009
You should only have your monitor(s) plugged into the nvidia GTX expansion card, not the video out that is built into the computer. You want to run video entirely off the Nvidia card. The Intel graphics should have automatically disabled themselves anyway, when the motherboard detects that you have an add in card, so chances are this is already the way the two monitors are attached, but it sounds weird that one would turn off when you disabled Intel graphics.

Tell me this, if you go to device manager and look at what is listed under "video", does it show any yellow exclamation points? Does it show Nvidia and also Intel or just Nvidia? If you really want to be absolutely sure you are not using the built in graphics at all you can disable it in hardware by going into the computers BIOS on startup, but I'm not sure if you are comfortable doing that.

chaoh312

Reputable
Sep 2, 2015

I didnt see a video tab, i saw a "Sound, video and game controllers" tab and a Display Adapters tab, il show you what was in both

https://gyazo.com/b6e3c577bf123f3b2f76be1141cb144a

https://gyazo.com/e1bb1caab99731ae7b9cdf82906610f8

Thanks for the help and i could do the bios thing if you tell me how to :eek: Also would it possibly mess up my computer?

seeingeyegod

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009
Sorry yeah I meant the display tab, not video. Not sure why your Intel graphics are showing up there but if you have the nvidia drivers installed, and the geforce experience shows drivers update and the Nvidia chip listed in "my rig", AND you have your monitor cables(s) only plugged into the expansion card and NOT the built in plug on the computer itself, then you are definitely using the Nvidia graphics.

On the BIOS settings, when you first start your computer you should see a message that says "press delete/F2/F10" to enter setup/BIOS", it varies from computer to computer. If you get into it, you will want to go into the section that shows integrated video (again varies depending on the PC), and turn it off. It might be in a section called "PCI devies" or "built in peripherals" something like that. Oh and yes you can potentially mess up your computer by going into the BIOS so don't change anything unless you feel confident. You can mess around and then exit WITHOUT SAVING CHANGES if you aren't sure about changing things.

Status
Not open for further replies.