I Want to switch Motherboards do I need to buy a new OS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GameBruhColor

Reputable
Jan 27, 2015
I am currently running windows 10. I upgraded free from windows 8.1 that was installed on my HDD in a custom PC that I built.

I am using an amd processor but will be upgrading to intel really soon so that means a new motherboard; I wanted to know will I be able to use the hdd that I have been using or will I need a new one and a new O.S.

I Also might have lost the product key that came with the original windows 8.1 disk

Link me videos or articles on how to migrate the OS sucessfully

This is the exact version I bought
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EDSI7QO?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

Thanks
GBC

Solution

My appoligies for not being clear.

I posted that in response to Dunlop's question specifically about RETAIL license.

If you have a RETAIL license then what I said applies, if you have an OEM or System Builders license then by Microsoft's...

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
I would like to know this myself, I do believe you need a new key if you switch the motherboard because the windows 10 key is tied to the motherboard. Not entirely sure though thats seems kind of unfair especially if you bought a retail copy of 8.1.

A OEM or System Builder's license is tied to your motherboard.

Thus if you get a different motherboard then in the eyes of Microsoft this is a "new computer" and thus requires a new license.

Now many people have had success calling Microsoft and telling them their motherboard died and letting them activate it. Whether this will work for you or not is a roll of the dice.

If you have a RETAIL copy then that copy can be transferred from one computer to another indefinitely, just as long as it is not running on two computers at the same time (and no dual boot or vm's)

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador

Sorry to hijack the thread a bit here but i think my question is related to the OP's.

Just to clarify, if I have a retail copy of 8.1 which I upgraded to 10, will i be able to use my retail 8.1 key if I upgrade to an intel system and do a clean install of windows?

Yes, you can migrate to an intel motherboard and install either win 8.1 OR win 10 on that machine. You can even install it to a different hard drive.

You just can only use your win 8 OR win 10 license at any given time on only 1 computer (virtual or physical).

GameBruhColor

Reputable
Jan 27, 2015

So I can re use my product key (which I recently found) on my new intel motherboard? This is the copy of 8.1 that I bought off amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EDSI7QO?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

My appoligies for not being clear.

I posted that in response to Dunlop's question specifically about RETAIL license.

If you have a RETAIL license then what I said applies, if you have an OEM or System Builders license then by Microsoft's terms you would need a license.

Solution

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador

If you are sure that is the copy of windows you bought then yes going by what boosted said you will be able to use that key when you switch to intel since the one in that amazon link is the full retail version of windows 8.1.

Status
Not open for further replies.