Resolution and performance question

momoBL

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2012
Hi, i have some noob questions for you, im using 19 inch Philips 190cw wide screan monitor thats 8 years old and im thinking to buy new one, so my resolution question is will 1024x768 resolution be more streached on monitor that is 22 inch becous i play fps game (cs go) so will players be more streached or it will be the same as on this monitor? And does monitor affects overall computer performance, will a newer monitor increas fps in game or make it more stable?

Sorry for any grammar mistakes, im not native.

Solution
Yes, 1024x768 is in 4:3 aspect ratio. It will stretch itself to fit a 22" monitor which I'm assuming is using a 16:9 aspect ratio. You can play your games or use your monitor with black bars, this means that you'll maintain 1:1 pixel mapping, which means that if you were to stretch the image, you lose 1:1 pixel mapping and so you introduce a blur across the whole image, and small details will be lost. A higher resolution is more demanding, because you will be rendering more pixels, this will affect your FPS performance in games. For Desktop use, and applications - no difference.

drkatz42

Honorable
Almost certainly, the new monitor will have a native resolution of 1920X1080.(check the specs) You'll want to use the native resolution of the monitor, otherwise the viewing quality will be poor. Moving to a higher resolution will certainly put more strain on your computer's graphic capabilities. (is your current system 8 years old?)

momoBL

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2012

Only monitor is old 8years my specs are newer i have i5 2500k @ 3.3 and Nvidia GTX650, and i play on lower resolutions to get batter fps i dont mind to play on low quality, so 1024 will be more streached ?

Yes, 1024x768 is in 4:3 aspect ratio. It will stretch itself to fit a 22" monitor which I'm assuming is using a 16:9 aspect ratio. You can play your games or use your monitor with black bars, this means that you'll maintain 1:1 pixel mapping, which means that if you were to stretch the image, you lose 1:1 pixel mapping and so you introduce a blur across the whole image, and small details will be lost. A higher resolution is more demanding, because you will be rendering more pixels, this will affect your FPS performance in games. For Desktop use, and applications - no difference.

Solution