Multiple bugcheck codes, all caused by ntoskrnl.exe

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingTacos

Reputable
Sep 5, 2015
I installed windows 10 a few days after it launched, and have been blue screening ever since. It seems to blue screen at random times, and with a different bugcheck everytime. Here are my system specs:
CPU: AMD FX 8350
GPU: EVGA Nividia gtx 960
RAM: 32 GB g.skill ripjaws
MB: ASUS M5A97 R2
BIOS: Revision 2501

Here are my Minidumps: http://www.mediafire.com/download/wnzcn8f4ljef8zf/Minidumps.zip

Solution
overall, update the two new drivers. reboot the system then update the BIOS. This will force the BIOS to rescan the system and reassign hardware resources and create a new database which it hands off to windows.
Then boot windows and see if you still get the bugcheck. (looks like it takes 8 hours )

4th bugcheck was in nvidia streaming, a bad memory address again but the stack trace is corrupted. the nvidia streaming depends on ethernet driver.
-------------
third bugcheck was a bad memory address passed to your network driver. It is one of the drivers updated but it can also just be a victim of memory corruption.

-----
second bugcheck was also a bad memory used, I would need a kernel memory dump rather than a mini dump to...

Slashgeek

Admirable
Did you update from a previous version of Windows? If so, it is highly recommended that you update all of your drivers to the latest Windows 10-compatible versions, especially your audio, graphics, and network adapter drivers, which are often responsible for BSODs under newly upgraded Windows 10 installations.

KingTacos

Reputable
Sep 5, 2015
Update: I was look at my device manger to see if I had missed any drivers when my computer shut off and turned back on. After that it has either blue screened while loading windows, a few minutes after loading windows, or it shuts off again. I have absolutely no idea what is going on

overall, update the two new drivers. reboot the system then update the BIOS. This will force the BIOS to rescan the system and reassign hardware resources and create a new database which it hands off to windows.
Then boot windows and see if you still get the bugcheck. (looks like it takes 8 hours )

4th bugcheck was in nvidia streaming, a bad memory address again but the stack trace is corrupted. the nvidia streaming depends on ethernet driver.
-------------
third bugcheck was a bad memory address passed to your network driver. It is one of the drivers updated but it can also just be a victim of memory corruption.

-----
second bugcheck was also a bad memory used, I would need a kernel memory dump rather than a mini dump to figure out the cause. I expect it will be one of the two hardware drivers that were updated, most likely the sound device.

--------
go here:https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/M5A97_R20/HelpDesk_Download/
pick up the current BIOS update, the new LAN driver and the new audio driver.

retest to see if you still bugcheck. will look at some of the other bugcheck to see If I can see the cause othe the memory corruption. (remove asio.sys tends to corrupt system memory)

first bugcheck, most current file date first:
-bad memory address used by kernel.
remove Asus PCProbe Utility
\SystemRoot\SysWow64\drivers\AsIO.sys Wed Aug 22 02:54:47 2012

machine info:
BIOS Version 2501
BIOS Release Date 04/07/2014
Manufacturer ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
Product M5A97 R2.0
Version Rev 1.xx
Processor Version AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core Processor
Processor Voltage 8eh - 1.4V
External Clock 200MHz
Max Speed 4000MHz
Current Speed 4000MHz
memory Speed 1333MHz
Manufacturer Undefined
Part Number F3-1866C10-8GXL (gskill) at 1333MHz

Solution

KingTacos

Reputable
Sep 5, 2015

I am having trouble trying to delete AsIO.sys, it is saying that the file is open in another program.

Thank you so much, I left my computer idle over night and it didn't blue screen. You just saved me about $60 to give it to a computer repair shop. Thank you again.

you might be able to delete the asio.sys if you boot into safe mode and just delete the file.
sometimes if the file is in use you can not delete it but you can rename it to something else like asio.bad
then when you reboot it will not load because asis.sys will not be found.
I think it is part of the ausu AI suite, they should have a uninstaller. (I have had people say they had to reinstall it and then uninstall and got it to remove the driver.)

you might be able to remove it using this method also:
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc771484(v=ws.10).aspx
(but I am not sure it is even stored in the hidden driverstore, At one time I think they AUSS used the task scheduler to reinstall the drivers once a week if you removed them, you had to delete the task to keep them from coming back)

KingTacos

Reputable
Sep 5, 2015
I have renamed asio.sys and removed the task from the task scheduler. If I blue screen again I will post the dump files. Thanks again for your help.

Note: if you installed the LAN driver already, then it still looks like the Microsoft driver is selected, just based on the dates.
you should go to device manager and attempt to select the updated driver as the default version.
or uninstall the slightly older version by using this method.
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/Cc730875.aspx

also note: looks like you have two asus files installed now:
\SystemRoot\SysWow64\drivers\AsUpIO.sys Mon Aug 02 19:47:59 2010
\SystemRoot\SysWow64\drivers\AsIO.sys Wed Aug 22 02:54:47 2012
update the other drivers listed below and see if you still get a bugcheck.
looks like it took 5 hour 44 mins and resulted from a bad memory address being passed to the kernel.

the bugcheck was in windows code while running NVidia streaming software. I would expect it to be a problem with a network driver. You have the Microsoft generic driver for
Realtek NICDRV 8169 PCIe GBE Family Controller driver
\SystemRoot\System32\drivers\rt640x64.sys Tue May 05 09:21:03 2015

looks like asus put out a update for the LAN, the AUDIO and the sata drivers right after windows 10 shipped.
You will want to all three of them.
use the previous link. but confirm it is the correct machine.
machine info:
BIOS Version 2603
BIOS Starting Address Segment f000
BIOS Release Date 06/26/2015
Product M5A97 R2.0
Version Rev 1.xx
Processor Version AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core Processor
Processor Voltage 8eh - 1.4V
External Clock 200MHz
Max Speed 4000MHz
Current Speed 4000MHz
memory
Part Number F3-1866C10-8GXL
Speed 1333MHz

KingTacos

Reputable
Sep 5, 2015
I had already installed the LAN driver, so I uninstalled the older version. Let's hope that this solves all the problems.

bugcheck was cause by a bad memory address (memory address =4) being passed to the kernel during nvidia streaming.

did you pick up the new lan driver and audio driver for windows 10 for this machine?
https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/M5A97_R20/HelpDesk_Download/

I would guess the driver ndisrd.sys
http://www.carrona.org/drivers/driver.php?id=ndisrd.sys
is a likely cause of breaking the nvidia streaming. I would remove the software package
( Mionet driver/ or WinpkFilter high performance packet filtering framework)
I would also remove the asus drivers asupio.sys and asusfilter.sys (some old USB filter driver)
You could also look for driver updates for these drivers listed below.

suspect drivers:
\SystemRoot\SysWow64\drivers\AsUpIO.sys Mon Aug 02 19:47:59 2010
\SystemRoot\SysWow64\drivers\ASUSFILTER.sys Tue Sep 20 08:46:33 2011
\SystemRoot\System32\drivers\amd_sata.sys Wed Apr 11 07:40:24 2012
\SystemRoot\System32\drivers\amd_xata.sys Wed Apr 11 07:40:27 2012
\SystemRoot\System32\drivers\asmthub3.sys Mon Jun 24 10:16:39 2013
\SystemRoot\System32\drivers\asmtxhci.sys Mon Jun 24 10:16:27 2013
\SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\ndisrd.sys Wed May 30 20:03:33 2012

machine info:
BIOS Version 2603
BIOS Starting Address Segment f000
BIOS Release Date 06/26/2015
Product M5A97 R2.0
Version Rev 1.xx
Product M5A97 R2.0
Version Rev 1.xx

KingTacos

Reputable
Sep 5, 2015
When I renamed asupio.sys and asfilter.sys my internet and some usb devices stopped working, so I undid the changes I made to those. Other than that, I uninstalled Asus AI suite, renamed ndisrd.sys, and disabled nvidia streaming. I really hope that I don't bugcheck again.

KingTacos

Reputable
Sep 5, 2015
I blue screened again with the bugcheck CLOCK WATCHDOG TIMEOUT, what does that mean, and I can't find the dump file for this bugcheck. Also shortly after that blue screen, I blue screened with the bugcheck IRQL NOT LESS THAN OR EQUAL, which whocrashed identified that AVG caused that. So I uninstalled AVG, if I blue screen again (hopefully I won't) I will post it.

kind of looks like the system was calling a network function
tcpip!UdpReceiveDatagrams+0x304
right before the crash.
----------
you might also disable the power saving features and run as high performance to see it that helps. disable in BIOS or in control panel.

try to get your system to save a kernel memoy dump, with verifier flags enabled. It will bugcheck if it finds a bad driver.
how to change the memory dump type:
https://www.sophos.com/en-us/support/knowledgebase/111474.aspx

try to get verifier running to do extra driver checking.
start cmd.exe as an admin, then run
verifier.exe /standard /all
and reboot your machine and run until you get the next bugcheck.

use verifier.exe /reset to turn off verifier after you are done testing.

------------
bugcheck sub error code was:

Error code: (NTSTATUS) 0xc0000096 (3221225622) - {EXCEPTION} Privileged instruction.

when calling nt!PpmIdleExecuteTransition (you can google for this function to see if other figure out the problem)

----------
I guess you can get this error code if you have certain services disabled.
maybe something that your droidcamvideo.sys need?

I would remove them until I figured out the problem.
http://www.dev47apps.com/droidcam/windows/
\SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\droidcam.sys Sat May 23 22:35:05 2015
\SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\droidcamvideo.sys Sat May 23 22:35:06 2015

KingTacos

Reputable
Sep 5, 2015
I uninstalled droidcam, got my system to save kernal dumps, and ran verifier, but after I rebooted my system it keeps bugchecking while windows is loading, I'll try booting in safe mode.

can you get into BIOS and disable fast boot options if you have them.
https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1005535/
it would give you more time to get into safe mode (shift +f8 during boot of windows)

or are you geting a bugcheck while you are going into safe mode?

Status
Not open for further replies.