I just got my first gaming monitor and need help calibrating it.

Fumblerful

Reputable
Dec 16, 2014
I just got an Acer XB260HU and I want to know what settings fellow owners have it at. Also, when I change the refresh rate to 144hz, my color goes to 16 bit. Why? I have a gtx 680 and the stock cable. Does one need replacing? Also, what is the super sampling option that allows for 4k?

Thanks!

May your frames be high and your temperatures low.

Solution
It's a little exercise for your index finger with a cupla dozen mouse clicks and 5-8 minutes of your time.

Time to "Get your Geek On". Throw a pair of pop tarts in the toaster, do steps 1 and 2 .... they should pop about then, grab your tarts and a Jolt Cola and you'll be finish the installs before the "nerd meal" is over :)
Sometimes ya can find tweaked INF / ICC profiles in monitor review sites. For example, this is where I got mine for the Asus VG248QE

https://pcmonitors.info/others/benq-xl2411t-vs-asus-vg248qe/

Tho inputting their settings is another option

Here's one for the XB270HU ... I didn't think there was an XB260HU

http://img1.focus-numerique.com/focus/profils-LCD/xb270hu.zip

http://www.digitalversus.com/lcd-monitor/acer-xb270hu-p23147/test.html

Tho this is where I go for all things monitor related:

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/icc_profiles.htm
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/icc_profiles/acer_xb270hu.icc

Fumblerful

Reputable
Dec 16, 2014

Thanks, yeah, I meant XB270HU. I still would like to know what's up with the 144hz thing though.

Fumblerful

Reputable
Dec 16, 2014

It recognizes the monitor and shows that it can do up to 144hz. It just wont go to 144hz AND 32 bit color.

I understood that .... Windows will use default ICC profile unless you load the correct one for your monitor. If you have loaded the correct one for you monitor and then it still does not do what you want, I'd call Acer. Called my son who has same monitor and he loaded the profile from tftcentral.

I would proceed as follows with this issue:

1. Uninstall all things nVidia, reboot
2. Run Ccleaner registry cleaner and identify and remove ONLY nVidia reg entries, reboot.
3. Install the ICC profile from tftcentral, reboot
4. Install nVidia drivers and GFE

Fumblerful

Reputable
Dec 16, 2014

Thanks. This seems a tad bit drastic but I will remember this. As the son of IT people, I know to try the simplest solutions first but I'm not afraid of getting my hands dirty.

It's a little exercise for your index finger with a cupla dozen mouse clicks and 5-8 minutes of your time.

Time to "Get your Geek On". Throw a pair of pop tarts in the toaster, do steps 1 and 2 .... they should pop about then, grab your tarts and a Jolt Cola and you'll be finish the installs before the "nerd meal" is over :)

Solution

Fumblerful

Reputable
Dec 16, 2014

Thanks for your help. I have asked other owners on XB270HUs on reddit and awaiting a response. Perhaps I can fix this with my dad this weekend. I feel a little uncomfortable rooting around in the registry but I'm pretty sure he knows how.

1. Loading ICC Profile

a) Downloaded the icc profile from tftcentral.

b) If you're using Windows 7, open the Start Menu or the Control Panel and search for "color management". Then, click on the Color Management shortcut.

c) In the Device drop-down box there's a list of devices installed on your computer, starting with your monitor(s). If you have multiple monitors, select the monitor to match the downloaded the color profile.

c) When you have the proper monitor selected, click or tap Add.

d) If a color profile already exists for the monitor, the Add button may be disabled. If that's the case, just check the box that says "Use my settings for this device". That will enable the Add button.

2. Go to control panel and uninstall all things nvidia. Reboot.

3. Next create a restore point (from Windows help).

a) Go to Control Panel, click to open *System*.

b) In the left pane, click System protection. Administrator permission required If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

c) Click the System Protection tab, and then click Create.

d) In the System Protection dialog box, type a description, and then click Create.

4. Registry cleaning

I wouldn't recommend entering the registry. Using a registry cleaner can be daunting and you can certainly do some damage with it. But not if you use it judiciously. First you should create a restore point

a) open ccleaner and click on "registry" in the left panel

b) You can check 1 box at a time which I would do 1st time thru so you have an idea of what ccleanerr **thinks** is wrong. Later if not getting a lot of hits, you can do in bunches of 3 or whatever.

c) look thru the list of things it's *thinks* you might want to fix for anything that says "nvidia". Uncheck the top bix which will uncheck the entire list below. It will offer you the option to "save" your registry but you already did that in step 2

d) Since you have already uninstalled anything and everything from nvidia, it's not like it belongs there or that you can break anything by removing any registry entry that has nVidia in it.

e) repeat steps b thru d till you get to the bottom of the list

f) reboot

5. Install nvidia drivers, GFE

Fumblerful

Reputable
Dec 16, 2014

I learned the problem is my GTX 680: 680s can't do 144hz. Thanks for the help though.