Windows won't load after inital updates following either fresh install or upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

choppedup

Reputable
Apr 26, 2014
Hi,

I hope someone can help. My selfbuild ran windows 7 with no trouble.
Hardware consisted of z87pro, 16gb ram, sandisk 250gbssd. Purely for office work and was fine. Upgraded to windows 10 initially and all seemed fine. Few weeks later being yesterday the pc would boot but got stuck on the windows 10 loader screen with the dots going round and never getting past it. Anyway in the end I had all my data so I formatted the disk and started again. Following fresh install of windows 10 as soon as the initial updates were applied the machine would appear to shut down but would not go off. Manual restart would lead to the machine getting stuck on the white dots going round and round.

I have also tried another SSD drive and a windows 7 to windows 10 upgrade and the same problem repeats. It seems as soon as the latest updates are applied and machine is rebooted it then fails to load the OS...
I now have an image of windows 10 following install without the updates but soon as those initial updates go on the os fails on the white dots going round and round... The os shuts down with no updates and re-loads...

What else could be causing the problem? - driver on the updates?

Many thanks

It's probably a driver issue. Since it works fine after the initial install, I'd probably recommend installing according to the instructions (Using your media that's already created. Just skip those steps in the tutorial.) at the following link and disable automatic driver updating as outlined at the bottom of the article. You can then manually update any drivers that need updated by downloading and installing them from the hardware OEM's website or the product page from your prebuilt system's manufacturer. If this is not a gaming machine and doesn't have a discreet GPU card installed, you may not even need to bother with that.

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2784691/resolve-unresolvable-issues-upgrading-windows.html

choppedup

Reputable
Apr 26, 2014
Many thanks. I will build it again and give this one last go. Sounds like it will help. I am fairly sure after the multiple builds in the last few days its the intel 4600 graphic driver that comes down from windows update. As on the last build it only updated that driver then broke again...

I even put the asus one on first but it still updated it so may have set driver updates to manual for now.

Thanks

choppedup

Reputable
Apr 26, 2014
Well tried the disable and various other things such as intels updater. The updater patched the driver so I thought great sorted but its not. I then started having the hard disc locking with full red light at random points. I got the same issues with hdd and ssd so I am thinking maybe this the mboard sata playing up. Still have some warranty left so going to see if I can rma it..spent 2 days messing with it already lol.. thanks though for your help

Do you have the latest bios version installed? I've seen bios limitations cause some issues with a few windows 10 builds, which might be relevant to the SATA controllers. I'd also make sure manually that I had the latest Intel rapid storage drivers installed.

choppedup

Reputable
Apr 26, 2014
Yeap I did the bios pre install the very 1st time.
Tbh I have ťried everything I can think of. Tried new ssd too.

choppedup

Reputable
Apr 26, 2014
Hi Again

So
Z87-pro - latest bios using on board graphics
Intel i7 4770k 3.5ghz 8mb cache
2 x 16gb cml16gx3m2a1600c9
Sdssdhp-256 - latest firmware
Corsair psu cx750

Office based pc not used for gaming rig.

Cheers

How old is your CX PSU? CX series units are TERRIBLY well known for working fine at first but prematurely failing due to the cheap caps and corner cutting on build quality within 6 months to a year-ish. BUT, that's also usually on gaming or overclocked machines. For an office machine type load, I wouldn't think it to likely to be the problem, but it could certainly still be. Those are about the lowest quality units Corsair sells and we see tons of threads here related to them.

choppedup

Reputable
Apr 26, 2014

hi, I thought I would follow this up.. Took forever (3 weeks) to get the board returned to the company I purchased it from. In the end they could not get a replacement model so refunded the money :pt1cable:. I received my asus Z97-pro yesterday and so far all good. No issue on install or updates and has been running all day with no BSOD or weird problems. All the original parts so I hope and believe it was something to do with the sata channel on my old z87 board.

Only time will tell..Will bear in mind the PSU if problems surface again

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.