Screen Resolution Too small. Can't change via Bios or Control Panel

RoboticusJiang

Honorable
Feb 6, 2015
I just built a new computer. My problem is that I can't install any drivers because the resolution is too small. I can't change it from the control panel, and the screen resolution is affecting the bios as well. I can't change anything from anywhere. As a result, I also can't install drivers because the install button is completely off screen. I'm permanently stuck in 640x480.

I attached an HDMI cable from my mobo to my monitor. VGA doesn't seem to work off my mobo, but that might be a driver issue. Aftewards, I plugged in my graphics card to the mobo, a radeon 7850. I ran into the same resolution issues.

My mobo does make a continuous, high pitched noise every now and then. I believe it might simply be a defective motherboard, since the ethernet port doesn't work either. The ethernet port lights up but nothing happens. The pcie x 1 port on my mobo isn't working properly either, since I plugged a pci-e to IDE controller card in so I can use my older disc drivers. The disc drivers register, but that's as far as they get. I can't run discs off them. When I open MyComputer and press the discs, the window just loads forever. The disc drives definitely worked before.

Also, I had to change out my PSU and a fan regulator. They worked fine in my old computer that I salvaged them from, but they didn't work for this build for some reason.

Specs:
WD Green 4TB HDD
MSI Z97 MATE (here's the link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K23BW70?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00
Intel Core i5-4690 CPU
Patriot Extreme 16GB DDR3 1600 RAM
AMD Radeon 7850 video card
600Watt PSU
generic USB mouse and keyboard

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks guys!

there's something else going on here, too many 'faults'/'didn't work with...'

first possibility is that there is a hardware installation mistake that is allowing it to roughly work, like standoffs etc. but this is unlikely as you wouldn't get this far.
second assumption is a bad windows install, reinstall windows.
windows should just start downloading drivers that will work, this can prevent you from installing downloaded drivers.

RoboticusJiang

Honorable
Feb 6, 2015

I wasn't getting internet before so it couldn't scan for or install updates. I bought a USB wifi stick today and luckily the driver installation window was small enough to fit in my screen. I'm installing windows updates now. Hopefully that fixes everything.

RoboticusJiang

Honorable
Feb 6, 2015
I finished installing all 202 windows updates (guess my copy of the windows install was lacking a few things). The screen resolution off the mobo is fine now, but when I plug the graphics card into the mobo and run my monitors off that, it's still stuck in the 640x480. I tried to install drivers off the disc and off AMD's website, but the install button is still off screen with the video card. When I pulled the video card out and tried to do the driver install off the disc, nothing happened. A small command prompt box flashed for a fraction of a second on my screen after I clicked the disc. That's about all that happens.

Also, my 4TB HDD is showing up only as 1.99 TB. There's no way the firmware is over 2TB...so what do I do about that?

RoboticusJiang

Honorable
Feb 6, 2015
I think what I'll end up doing is returning the motherboard and buying a new one. As for the 4 tb 2 tb problem, I found out it's because for HDDs over 2.2 tb, you have to install windows on them a different way than juse iso off a disc or flash drive. That's too much work for me to figure out, so I'll just install windows on a different HDD.

As for what I have on my 4 tb HDD, instead of wiping it using the dban iso, can I just highlight all files and delete them? I'll be reusing it any way. The only concern is if there's annything left over on that 4 tb HDD, it might mess with what I download onto it later, correct?