Can anyone give me a ballpark range for the maximum resale value of this laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mirrorflame

Honorable
Nov 28, 2013
Hallo,
My roommate wants to sell his current laptop which he has been using for 18 months till now (Sep 2015). Can anyone estimate the maximum resale value we can get for the laptop? I have never sold a used laptop before so have no idea on what price range I should keep on ebay and other merchant sites. So I would be very grateful for any suggestions/help you can provide. I will add the diagnostic specifications in a photo here for your reference.

It is a HP Pavillion g6 Notebook PC with Windows 10 64-bit. It has a Core i5 processor (2.5 GHz) and 4GB RAM. The screen size is 15 inches and the warranty has expired. The only fault is the CPU fan which makes a loud noise when operating the laptop.

http://i62.tinypic.com/2945oc2.jpg

Solution
Well you don't mention much about the unit like the screen size, but maybe 300 dollars at max. I would think 200 dollars is probably more reasonable though of course it depends on how long you want it to be for sale.

Any way you can fix the fan? A dealer won't care since it's like a 5 dollar part but they are going to give you below the low end of the scale to begin with; an end user who might otherwise be willing to give you towards the high end is not going to want to pay your price and then maybe 100 dollars to a dealer to get it repaired.
Basically, anyone qualified enough to not care about the fan is also going to know that despite the original price tag, there is like a 25 dollar difference between the low end and high end...

Deuce65

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013
Well you don't mention much about the unit like the screen size, but maybe 300 dollars at max. I would think 200 dollars is probably more reasonable though of course it depends on how long you want it to be for sale.

Any way you can fix the fan? A dealer won't care since it's like a 5 dollar part but they are going to give you below the low end of the scale to begin with; an end user who might otherwise be willing to give you towards the high end is not going to want to pay your price and then maybe 100 dollars to a dealer to get it repaired.
Basically, anyone qualified enough to not care about the fan is also going to know that despite the original price tag, there is like a 25 dollar difference between the low end and high end CPUs in those things.

Solution

Mirrorflame

Honorable
Nov 28, 2013
Thank you for your reply. Also, thank you once again for the heads up - I forgot to add the Unit details like screen size and so on - I will add them now. I realize that the price goes down even for a 5 Euro fan and I am trying to fix it but having a hard time finding a suitable fan. I am not very good with laptops and worried that I will bumble it up. BUT I will manage to fix it before selling for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.