Vista Home Premium Fat32 was boot drive. Can I slave it to SSD booting Win10 on a new i7?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaybesq

Reputable
Sep 6, 2015
Hiya.
Enough of spending half my day waiting for my email server to switch between inbox and outbox (using emclient 'cause I needa save all my emails by law and refer to them constantly).
Buying an HP Envy 750se Core i7-6700K booting Win10 from a 512gb sd.
But I really need the data and info and even many of the programs on my 1TB FAT32 HD currently booting my snailspeed computer under Windows Vista Home Premium (no snickering please).
Can I slave the HD, install Chrome, emclient and other frequently used and and currently snail-slow programs on the SSD, and use the HD for the other programs and data files?
The 512gb SSD isn't enough space as I am now at 460 gb of data already on my HD, and growing.
I don't mind storing pics, vids and music on the HD.
Should I just bite the bullet and get two 1TB SSDs to mirror each other as a backup, move all the data and programs over with Laplink PCmover Ultimate with High Speed Transfer Cable, and pray that my programs like Acrobat full, WordPerfect X6 and PowerCloser will still work because Win10 can be backwards compatible?
If so, what mirroring program would you recommend?
Are SSD's as reliable as HD's?
Thank you.

Solution

That is correct. Remember to set the boot order to use the SSD rather than the HDD.

Slashgeek

Admirable
It is possible to have an SSD + HDD setup, and in practice it is not very complicated. Install Windows and high-performance applications on the C:\ SSD, and install slower applications to the D:\ drive, as well as store data there. SSDs are generally more reliable than HDDs - if theoretical write wear tests are to be believed, then it's possible that an SSD could last over a decade under decent daily loads with little drop in performance.

jaybesq

Reputable
Sep 6, 2015

Thank you very much!
I have been holding off on making the purchase until I heard from someone knowledgeable in the subject.
I appreciate it.

jaybesq

Reputable
Sep 6, 2015

Is it as simple as dropping the SATA HD I'm currently using into the available bay and plugging in the two cables upon receiving the new computer with the SSD already set up for boot from Win10?
Thank you.

Slashgeek

Admirable

That is correct. Remember to set the boot order to use the SSD rather than the HDD.

Solution

Slashgeek

Admirable

Z170 boards like those used for Skylake CPUs all have SATA ports. You should be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS