What field to go into?

IREFUSE

Honorable
Nov 24, 2013
So I'm finishing high school this year, I was hoping for some advice.

So my current plan was to get a certification in welding as a back up plan, but then go into the computer science field. Some people told me that going into the computer and science field is a bit hard now since so many are going into it. So I wondering if someone could give me advice on some fields I'm about to give out .

Computer Systems Engineer

Computer Hardware Engineer

Robotics Engineer

Biomedical Engineer

Anyone in any of this fields that want to give advice??

Solution
Just came across your posting and willing to comment accordingly.

Are you truly interested in welding? If so then that tells me you are not afraid of hard, hot, dirty work. That is good.

Otherwise if welding is just a backup plan because you "have to do something" that is probably not good. On the other hand if welding for awhile pays your way through some educational process then that is good.

Very hard for anyone to make career decisions in these times. Especially when just starting out.

That said, do what you want to do and do not worry about the "bit hard now" part. If you are willing to really learn and work then that will take care of itself. Apprentice welders pay their dues: actually everyone does at some point...

Ralston18

Titan
Just came across your posting and willing to comment accordingly.

Are you truly interested in welding? If so then that tells me you are not afraid of hard, hot, dirty work. That is good.

Otherwise if welding is just a backup plan because you "have to do something" that is probably not good. On the other hand if welding for awhile pays your way through some educational process then that is good.

Very hard for anyone to make career decisions in these times. Especially when just starting out.

That said, do what you want to do and do not worry about the "bit hard now" part. If you are willing to really learn and work then that will take care of itself. Apprentice welders pay their dues: actually everyone does at some point. Always a "bit hard....."

Take classes as best you can via a college or community college program. Maybe the military is an option for you - no judgement intended either way.

Get a well rounded education including math, sciences, communications, computers, writing, speaking, etc.. Then you will have base to launch from when you do decide/find/discover what really appeals to you. And that will probably change and evolve.... right along with the rest of the world.

No certainties, no firm answers. Just go with what you feel, test and expand your comfort zones, stay out of trouble. Do not fear failure.

I always told my kids three things while they were in school: "Work hard, Be careful, Have fun: you pick the order" [order as "appropriate" being implied]. As of late we are considering a fourth mandate "Stay flexible".....

Solution

IREFUSE

Honorable
Nov 24, 2013
Thanks for the advice^
And i'm taking college classes as part of a high-school program, and I do enjoy welding but I also enjoy working on anything that is a computer. I honestly do prefer computers over welding since I spend a ton of time on computers and the pay is better, but I wouldn't mind begin a welder. Thanks for the advice also.