Sign in with
Your question

I´m in hell, computer starts then stops and so on

Last response: in Components
May 4, 2011 8:47:22 PM

Hello, let me just explain everything that has happened until the moment of mentioned problem.

The first thing that happened was that, when i came home from work, the computer system (xpsp3) crashed and i could not start it again.

Then i decided i wanted to do a fresh install of windows 7. But before i was going to do that, i wanted to clean my computer from dust.

I unplugged the graphics card and the cpu and blew the dust off of both and the motherboard, then installed both again.

After i did that and started my computer again, the bios menu did not show up, but instead, the computer just ran for about 8 seconds then turned off and then turned on again for 8 seconds by itself and turned off and so on endlessly. I tried everything, i put new thermal paste, i reinstalled all the hardware and checked everything.

But it changed after i put only 1 ram stick in but not both. The computer started up without entering bios, all fans were running. But what changed was that the computer did not turn off like before, and the keyboard lights blinked 2 times and then stopped and the main light turned on and kept on.

And i can confirm that the graphics card is not causing the problem, i tried installing another one and it all went the same.

I really would appreciate some help, not having my computer is really frustrating, thank you for reading.
May 4, 2011 8:54:34 PM

danheling3 said:
I unplugged the graphics card and the cpu and blew the dust off of both and the motherboard, then installed both again.

What method did you use to "blow" the dust?
Was your system left running while you were away?
Did the system just shut itself down, what was it's exact state when you arrived back home?
May 4, 2011 8:55:51 PM

BigDav said:
What method did you use to "blow" the dust?

orally
Related resources
May 4, 2011 8:59:25 PM

danheling3 said:
orally

I was editing my post, plz answer two questions above, sorry!
May 4, 2011 9:04:24 PM

Quote:

The first thing that happened was that, when i came home from work, the computer system (xpsp3) crashed and i could not start it again.

Just to make it clear did it BSOD or simply shut off?

Quote:

But it changed after i put only 1 ram stick in but not both. The computer started up without entering bios, all fans were running. But what changed was that the computer did not turn off like before, and the keyboard lights blinked 2 times and then stopped and the main light turned on and kept on.

So if I understand correctly every device seemingly got power and turned on but the system did not post. This sounds to me like the mobo or cpu (or even both) are the culprit.
However before we determine such I want you to clear your CMOS and give it a shot. If this has no effect then my bet is on the motherboard.

May 4, 2011 9:06:15 PM

I believe that, the fact that my operating system crashed is not the source of the problem, because the bios worked after it crashed.

Yes, the computer was left running
The state was slow. I did something and it just froze.
And after i reinstalled after that, it said that some file was missing..
And after that, i did what i wrote in the original post.
May 4, 2011 9:09:05 PM

NuclearShadow said:
Quote:

Just to make it clear did it BSOD or simply shut off?

Quote:

So if I understand correctly every device seemingly got power and turned on but the system did not post. This sounds to me like the mobo or cpu (or even both) are the culprit.
However before we determine such I want you to clear your CMOS and give it a shot. If this has no effect then my bet is on the motherboard.

it didnt bsod.

clear the cmon, u mean restart the battery and take off the green plastic thing off the pins and put it back on?

If so, then i already did that.

And, if the cpu and or motherboard are ruined, then why? Why would it happen after i did what i did?
May 4, 2011 9:13:04 PM

Sounds like your hard drive is going out on you. Try an boot to a command prompt and check your hard drive health.
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
May 4, 2011 9:21:47 PM

1- What are the rig specs?, specially CPU
2- Did you tried with another PSU?
3- Did you checked that doesn't exist a short somewhere?
May 4, 2011 9:38:55 PM

how do i boot to a command prompt?

1. mobo - asrock p43de, ram 4gb 800mhz, 520w supply, hd5770, intel e7400 2.8ghz
2. i dont have another psu that can handle my system.
3. a short?
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
May 4, 2011 9:49:31 PM

power short between case and components?

A friend can borrow a PSU for the test no?
May 4, 2011 9:54:45 PM

danheling3 said:
how do i boot to a command prompt?

F8 just keep tapping it before windows starts.

Quote:
because the bios worked after it crashed.

Okay seems that I misunderstood your original post then. So you are able to get into bios and the system just can't get father than that and shuts down.
Is this correct?

BigDav said:
Sounds like your hard drive is going out on you. Try an boot to a command prompt and check your hard drive health.

Certainly a possibility.

@ OP, Are you able to test the hard-drive in another system at this time?
May 5, 2011 1:27:47 AM

"Okay seems that I misunderstood your original post then. So you are able to get into bios and the system just can't get father than that and shuts down.
Is this correct? "

No, u didnt misunderstand anything, i meant that the bios worked after the crash but windows didnt load. Then i went and cleaned the computer from dust and after that, the bios werent working.

It cant be the hard drive thats not working because i tried putting both of my other hard drives to sata1 connector and it still didnt work.

And i don´t get why any of my hardware wouldnt be working because i did nothing wrong with it. I think there must be a technical solution to fix this problem. I´ll wait one more day for more repliers that could possibly give me a solution, if this may be a known problem. And it is.. I just didnt find any solutions when going through the threads. One thread there was a guy that had built a brand new pc and he had the same problem as i have, so it cant possibly be hardware wise.
May 9, 2011 1:04:01 AM

danheling3 said:
"Okay seems that I misunderstood your original post then. So you are able to get into bios and the system just can't get father than that and shuts down.
Is this correct? "

No, u didnt misunderstand anything, i meant that the bios worked after the crash but windows didnt load. Then i went and cleaned the computer from dust and after that, the bios werent working.

It cant be the hard drive thats not working because i tried putting both of my other hard drives to sata1 connector and it still didnt work.

And i don´t get why any of my hardware wouldnt be working because i did nothing wrong with it. I think there must be a technical solution to fix this problem. I´ll wait one more day for more repliers that could possibly give me a solution, if this may be a known problem. And it is.. I just didnt find any solutions when going through the threads. One thread there was a guy that had built a brand new pc and he had the same problem as i have, so it cant possibly be hardware wise.

I apologize for the late reply and do hope you get this. This eliminates the hard-drive being the culprit as a hard-drive is not needed to actually get into the bios.
I am sorry to say but this is a hardware problem and I am going to have to go back and point at the motherboard as the most likely culprit of your problems.
Sorry to say but the only real solution is replacing it. As for the problem you mention reading about from another user that likely means his motherboard was DOA.
It has to be a hardware issue as you are not able to even start the process of running any software.
!