Windows 10 sleep mode problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oohtoodles

Honorable
Apr 29, 2013
I can't find anything online that's like my problem(yet), but the problem I'm having is that every time my computer wants to go into sleep mode(after 30 minutes of being idle), it instead does a reboot. This is getting very frustrating, every 30 minutes I have to reopen all my applications and restore my web browser. If I leave my computer on overnight, it'll cycle power like 15 times, never going into sleep mode. Another problem I've had once that may be tied to this is that when I tried to shut down my computer it just acted as if I hit the "restart" button and came right back on. Please and thank you for the help!

Solution
You may be having difficulty with a Windows feature called hybrid shutdown, which performs a hibernate-like dump of important running processes and kernel components during each shutdown. To disable hybrid shutdown, type "Power plan" in Start and choose the first option. Click "Choose what the power buttons do" on the sidebar. Click "Change settings that are currently unavailable." Uncheck "Turn on fast startup."
Hardware specs?

Latest bios version?

Manually verified all drivers are up to date including chipset, storage, graphics and network adapters? I'd probably start by doing those things as well as making sure that wake on lan settings are turned off in the advanced properties for your network adapters in device manager and bios.

Is this an upgrade or a clean install of Win10?

This is probably going to sound stupid, but did you have this issue prior to Windows 10?

Slashgeek

Admirable
You may be having difficulty with a Windows feature called hybrid shutdown, which performs a hibernate-like dump of important running processes and kernel components during each shutdown. To disable hybrid shutdown, type "Power plan" in Start and choose the first option. Click "Choose what the power buttons do" on the sidebar. Click "Change settings that are currently unavailable." Uncheck "Turn on fast startup."

Solution
It's very strange that NONE of my units which consist of three desktops, two laptops and a tablet, have the fast shutdown option in the power applet. Other systems I've been working on have it, and I've read a good deal regarding problems with it, but my systems don't have it at all. So weird.

Edit:

Well that explains it. In order to have the fast startup option you have to have hibernation enabled. I always disable hibernation since 99% of the time it causes problems, as evidenced by the fast startup issues. Seems just disabling hibernation disables fast startup as well, so since I always recommend disabling hibernation anyhow, that would completely eliminate the problem along with any other hibernation related issues that could potentially be a problem.

A) Open the Advanced Power Plan Settings for your power plan, and expand Sleep.

B) Under Hibernate after, set the Setting (Minutes) to Never.

C) Go to step 4.

4. When finished, click/tap on OK

Alternatively, I don't think the hibernation options are even available if your power plan is set to performance.

Slashgeek

Admirable

Fast startup does make use of hiberfil.sys so it makes sense that hibernation is a prerequisite.

Status
Not open for further replies.