Need advice on what monitor to get

Greekscreech

Reputable
Apr 19, 2015
Hey all,

I recently built a monster 4k editing pc, and the advice I got on here was invaluable, so I thought I'd ask about my next purchase. I'm looking for a monitor and am not sure what to get. Things have changed a lot since the last time I bought one. I'm looking for something that will be great for editing, and suffice for color correcting projects where I can't afford a colorist. I am planning to buy another 4k monitor(or two) in the future, in which case this would turn into my secondary. My ideal budget is under $700. I know that I can't get a professional color grading monitor for that much, I just want something that is a good deal and quality for the price, that will work until I an afford something better.

I have a titan x graphics card, and plan to get another and sli them together(my next purchase). Oh, and I do game a little, but this is definitely not a primary factor in my decision.

The only one I have found through my research is a bit out of my budget, but if it is truly that much better than anything I can get for $700 I will consider it. it is the BenQ BL3201PH.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00O1B5M9I?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I'd appreciate any advice and suggestions that you guys have on this monitor or any others that you think would fit my needs. Thanks! -Tom

Solution
Both of the suggested are great monitors, personally I prefer the LG and it also has a larger '4k' defined resolution @ 4096x2160. After seeing both of these monitors in-store when I was searching for a UHD/4k monitor (I ended up getting the Samsung LU28D590DS 28" TN) I can tell you that the LG is calibrated better out of the box, and looks the best when comparing them side by side. Is it worth the extra cost and 1" smaller size? Yes, I do believe it is.

Greekscreech

Reputable
Apr 19, 2015
Thanks for the suggestion! After taking a look, I decided that for editing and color grading, $700 isn't going to work. It seems I really need an ips monitor to have a decent color output. I've narrowed it down to two:

BenQ BL3201PH, 32" IPS LED 4K Monitor with 32-Inch LED-Lit Screen
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00O1B5M9I?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

and:

LG Electronics IPS Digital Cinema 4K Monitor 31MU97-B 31.0-Inch Screen LED-Lit Monitor
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OKSEVTY?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_2&smid=A13ACIRM091OJE

I'm leaning towards the LG at this point. I'd appreciate any advice about this, or any monitor that I should consider that stacks up to these at the same price or cheaper. Thanks!

Both of the suggested are great monitors, personally I prefer the LG and it also has a larger '4k' defined resolution @ 4096x2160. After seeing both of these monitors in-store when I was searching for a UHD/4k monitor (I ended up getting the Samsung LU28D590DS 28" TN) I can tell you that the LG is calibrated better out of the box, and looks the best when comparing them side by side. Is it worth the extra cost and 1" smaller size? Yes, I do believe it is.

Solution