Can't See The UPGRADE Button?! + Can I Upgrade To Win8.1 Frst? Should I?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shark Dentist

Reputable
Jul 2, 2014
Hello beautiful people of Tom's hardware! ;)

So I have a problem..
First off..there's no reserve button anywhere on my pc (yes my win7 ultimate is 100% legit)
I've looked in tabs,searched for it in control panel,etc..

However I do have Win8.1 ready to be installed in my press..
Is there a way to upgrade to win8.1 without wiping the harddrive so I can get the reserve WIN10 option?

So I'm talking about going from Win7 ultimate TO Win8.1 TO Win10 without ANY hdd wiping.
(I have a lot of important stuff on my pc,unfortunately :'( )

USAFRet

Titan

For any major change, your 'important stuff' needs to be backed up and offline during the process. You are but one hard drive crash, or power interruption, away from losing it all.

Shark Dentist

Reputable
Jul 2, 2014

Ah! very good point! D:
Might have to get another hard drive.

And would you recommend just upgrading to win10? If I was to just upgrade and then decide to wipe my pc for better performance, is it possible to re-install win 10?

thnx in advance! :)

Shark Dentist

Reputable
Jul 2, 2014

Oh,sh*t :eek:
I didn't know you could just download it from the site :eek:
But is this the 1 year free version?

USAFRet

Titan

I've done multiple upgrades from 7 or 8.1 to 10. One of them, I did a clean install of Win 10 after.
Worked just fine.

These were very minimal systems though. My main PC, I'm waiting a bit.

Shark Dentist

Reputable
Jul 2, 2014

So all I do is.. backup my documents and stuff to another harddrive (just incase), then upgrade to win10 through that link? :eek:

Shark Dentist

Reputable
Jul 2, 2014

Noice! :D
Didn't know it was this easy!

And will my apps and everything be fine after the upgrade or will my entire pc just be a broken mess with files that aren't working? haha

USAFRet

Titan

With the systems I have Upgraded, absolutely everything continued to work exactly as before. YMMV.

^ yep same
One system had minimal stuff installed anyway.

My main htpc/gamer has around 400 steam/uplay/origin titles + a lot of utils/apps .

An awfult lot of documents /video/music & other downloaded stuff spread across 4 drives.

Not tried everything admittedly (prob 700-800 programs installed in total) but they're certainly all there & everything I've tried is working fine.

Main ms login & my guest/other user accounts all fine.

2 issues -

1.had to do a telephone reactivation of windows office 2010
2. Windows 10 start menu is incapable of showing more than 563 entries , I reinstalled the latest classicshell so that sorted it.

10tb drive space in one PC - I'm a digital serial hoarder mate - always have been.
I was late into PC gaming so buy literally all the humble bundle & bundlestars deals - mental I know as I've got very little time to play them.

If things had gone tits up in all honesty it would probably have done me a favour.

Shark Dentist

Reputable
Jul 2, 2014

xD I do the exact same!
But with videos instead of games, I have about 400gb worth of raw fraps footage I'll probably never use haha

USAFRet

Titan

So...download that MediaCreation tool.
Run it from your existing OS.
It will present you the option of Upgrading directly, creating a USB install, or downloading an ISO file.

If you choose the USB or ISO thing, you still have to run that from inside the existing Windows OS to upgrade.

^ whs - I updated directly from the tool.

Once updated to win 10 if you run the tool again you can create a disk with a fresh installable copy of win 10 for backup & fresh install straight to win 10 for future use - the files remain on your hd until you do a disk cleanup.

Shark Dentist

Reputable
Jul 2, 2014
So I go here, http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install, (is there an option for win10 pro if I have win7 ultimate?)
I then donwload and run the tool.
In the tool, hit upgrade.
wallah!

??

Status
Not open for further replies.