Adware, malware, removed yesterday reinstalled?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rth_

Honorable
Nov 22, 2013
I installed some Freeware a few days ago, declining all of the other programs that says come with it.

Now I keep getting sent to "microsofttechnicians.xyz/emp_support_uk.html" and various other sites, not all the time, but most times when I click on a link.

Yesterday it was worse, a lot more ads were popping up and I also had SearchProtect and something else installed. I ran a threat scan using Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and it removed it all. Today, I log on to my computer, go on the internet, and get sent to "microsofttechnicians.xyz/emp_support_uk.html" and other adware sites saying I have to update Flash.

I'm currently running a threat scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, but that's not going to stop it being installed again tomorrow or later. I have uninstalled and deleted the files of the freeware.

What should I do? I'm thinking about wiping my SSD and having a clean install of Windows 10.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Are you using Chrome and have you logged into a Google account with it? If so, Chrome backs up bookmarks and installed extensions in the cloud. So you can remove browser malware, and the next time Chrome syncs it reinstalls it. Since it's stored on the cloud, even if you wipe and reinstall Windows, it'll come back.

If this is what's going on, getting rid of it is a bit tricky. First save your Chrome bookmarks and manually write down a list of any extensions you want to keep. Then follow option 2 in this link to completely delete all your Chrome sync info:
https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/2390059?hl=en

Then completely uninstall Chrome. Delete its folder in Program Files and run ccleaner and have to remove any Chrome-related temp files for good measure. Hopefully that will completely eradicate the malware. Then you can reinstall Chrome and turn sync back on if you wish.

If you use Chrome with the same account on multiple computers, you have to do this with each of them. Otherwise an infected Chrome on another computer will just put the malware back in your Chrome sync data.

Status
Not open for further replies.