White pixelated flashing screen on boot, but shows mouse pointer

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobtran12

Reputable
Nov 21, 2014
This recently started happening. Sometimes when I boot my computer, it displays a white screen with colorful pixels scattered across the screen. It starts by constantly flashing from the white screen to black. Eventually, it stops at the white screen. I can still see my mouse pointer though and move it around. It's happened three times now and it only happens every few boots. Any idea? Thanks.

Not sure if it is a Windows 10 issue or GPU issue or something else entirely.

Here's a picture of the white screen: http://i.imgur.com/mPLw38I.jpg

MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P
CPU: AMD FX 8320
GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW

EDIT: I think the problem has to do with the constant spamming of this in the logs:
"Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered."

Link to logs: http://www.upload.ee/files/5186052/Admin.zip.html

So GPU drivers or GPU failure? :\

Solution
This is the fifth thread I've seen, all recent, all Windows 10, all with the black and white flashing, all of them will boot and run normal every so many attempts and I've never seen this issue on any system before. The only thing in common is that they all have Nvidia graphics cards. Two had GTX 970's and three had GTX 960's. I'm thinking this is an Nvidia driver issue. If anybody finds a definite fix, or narrows down the problem, I'd be really glad to know about it. Good luck Bob.

Slashgeek

Admirable
This could be a RAM issue. Try reseating your RAM, and then running the computer with only one of the RAM sticks at a time. If this fails, try downloading the latest drivers for your GTX 970 here:

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/90500/en-us

If this fails, you must consider that your GPU is failing. Fortunately, EVGA warranties are 3-5 years in duration, and the GTX 970 was released in 2013, so you are still eligible for a free repair/replacement.

Also, go into BIOS and reset it to defaults,boot windows and remove any overclocking software.

You might also want to check voltages. See if your BIOS will report the voltages.
Overall, it sounds like a over heated video card, or poor power to the video card. Check the power connections and power supply. Make sure the video cards fans are spinning up and are not blocked.

Update the sound driver for your motherboard. Update the Ethernet driver also if you have shadow play streaming on.

This is the fifth thread I've seen, all recent, all Windows 10, all with the black and white flashing, all of them will boot and run normal every so many attempts and I've never seen this issue on any system before. The only thing in common is that they all have Nvidia graphics cards. Two had GTX 970's and three had GTX 960's. I'm thinking this is an Nvidia driver issue. If anybody finds a definite fix, or narrows down the problem, I'd be really glad to know about it. Good luck Bob.

Solution

bobtran12

Reputable
Nov 21, 2014

I have roll backed from the newer drivers (355.82) to the previous/older drivers (355.60) using Device Manager and the black/white flashing hasn't reoccurred since (rebooted 9-10 times). I'll report back if I encounter the flashing again, but as of now, this seems to be the solution.

p4rrot

Reputable
Sep 19, 2015

how do i roll back to the old drivers?

lwl285

Reputable
Sep 29, 2015
Do you have multiple screens? If so, what I did to fix this problem was to unplug the display cord from my second screen then reboot. The flashing white screen went away after I did this so hopefully it will work for you.

Kyle_98

Reputable
Oct 17, 2015

Do you know if they were EVGA??

Status
Not open for further replies.