Increasing the frame rate of my 4k monitor from 30hz to its advertised 60hz

Hammar

Reputable
Feb 25, 2014
I purchased a "Phillips 28-Inch 4K Ultra HD LED Monitor w/ 3840 x 2160 resolution (288P6LJEB)" which, its its description states "Ultra Clear 4K UHD Resolution of 3840 x 2160@ 60hz". While playing games with a frame rate counter on, I noticed that v-sync automatically syncs to 30fps instead of 60fps which I thought was odd so I checked and found in the properties of my monitor that it is limited to 30hz. My pc build (i5-4460, 8g ram, AMD radeon R9 290x 4g) should be more than capable to run at 60hz naturally so I assume that it must be a feature with the screen trying to not harm itself? Additional notes are that I use a dvi cable and that amd catalyst control center only allows 60hz at 1080p which is not why I bought the monitor. Any help would be much appreciated!

Edit: Thanks, I overlooked dvi and displayport thinking they were the same, I bought it used and didnt have a manual. Feel silly on my part.

Hammar

Reputable
Feb 25, 2014

Thanks, I found this like a week after I posted this question, thanks anyway! My next issue though is that when I've switched it to the 1.2 setting, my monitor goes to a full black screen for a few seconds roughly every 30 seconds and will also make loud 'popping' or 'crackling' noises. It does not do this if I am on 1.1 and I have tried two different cables, one that came with the monitor and one from monoprice. Is there any fix to this or do I need a new monitor? Thanks