First gaming PC, choosing a monitor

Entrisen

Reputable
Jun 10, 2015
So I have my build all picked out, except for the monitor and OS. Confused as I am, I think i'm going to just go with windows 10 as i've heard so much bad about windows 8 and windows 7 is just too outdated. So- onto my monitor problem.
I am getting a GTX 980ti and I am already nearing 2,400 for my build, which is quite a bit over my budget, but it all seems worth it for what i've chosen. I want a decent monitor to tide me over until I save up enough to buy a better one next year. So i have picked out this- Asus MX279H 27.0" Monitor- A beautiful monitor but it is only 1080p 60hz. I know my 980ti can run a 2k monitor beautifully but I want a really nice monitor for cheap right now rather than spending 600 on a 2k monitor and having to wait another month or two for my build. So.... Is that all worth it? Will I be okay getting this monitor I have chosen, for now at least? I don't really care if it is overkill. It's not like I can't upgrade. But I have asked this somewhere else and everyone was freaking out on me like it is a very very bad choice like its end all be all.
Lol what should I do? Thanks for any advice.

A7" at 1080p is a ppi of only 81.6 ... since the human eye can start distinguishing individual pixels at normal viewing distances at about 96 ppi, most would find it a bit grainy.... worth mentioning that Windows was designed based upon 96 dpi

I'd go with something smaller that you could use as a side monitor for Ventrillo, and other utilities browser while gaming....23.6" would be better for that usage and is 93.3 dpi

Sharpness is directly related to viewing distance (contrast too, but keep it simple). PPI doesn't mean anything unless we can use both PPI and distance to get our final result. 1080p/60 is very easy for your 980 Ti, I would look at a 1440 or 1080/144 instead, because you don't want to waste your GPU's power. I would also look at an IPS panel over a TN. People do tend to make the TN seem like a good choice, because they are marketed as a "gaming monitor". I advice you to not buy a TN monitor, ever. Trust facts, not opinions.

Use these two websites, retina density is based on 20/20 vision acuity, keep that in mind.

http://isthisretina.com/
http://www.displaywars.com/23,6-inch-16x9-vs-27-inch-16x9

With the displaywars one, note how small the difference is between 23.6" (24") and 27".

All the best!

Viewing distance is related to PPI but it there's one big thing that factors in for PC Monitors which makes the display wars link entitled Virtual **TV** Size Comparison irrelevant and that is the display link is about TVs and not monitors, let's look at the recommended viewing distance for 27" TVs since that what your link applies to:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optimum_HDTV_viewing_distance

RCA 26" = 3'5" – 9'10
Best Buy 26" = 3.3' – 6.5'
Crutchfield 26"= 3.25' – 5.5'

If we sit at that distance when working on our PCs, we are going to have real hard time using the mouse and keyboard, so clearly we can not apply TV data to PC usage..... at 39" to 118" away no one will be having an issue seeing individual pixels.

The reason we can't make TV analogies to PCs is with a PC monitor, your arms when typing are typically with elbows at your side putting the middle of your palm about 12" from your eyeballs and your eyeballs about 20-28" from the screen. While many docs recommend sitting further back (as much as 30" ... my hands can't reach the desk return or KB) , 16" to 27" is what I have typically observed in office settings. At this distance, individual pixels are oft distinguishable and images / text can, to many, appear like a dollar bill.

https://ergonomicsimportance87.wordpress.com/2011/03/09/what-makes-ergonomics-so-important/

proper-computer-posture.jpg

We have a Dell 24" IPS that we use for artwork and photo editing (gaming was OK but not in low light conditions or in fast action) and when we tried the 27" model, it was distracting. The screen looked like we were looking at ... well a screen ... as in "insect screen".

As for TN, there's only a single IPS monitor I can recommend at this point that being the 1440p, 144 Hz Predator. Nothing else that I have seen has low eneough lag times to prevent ghosting.

Last July... the Asus Swift was pretty much recognized universally as the best gaming monitor around. Reason being ... not because of advertised specs but because of actual measured response / lag times like these:

lag.png

And screen images like this TN

asus_rog_swift_pg278q.jpg

Versus this IPS

dell_u2713hm.jpg

Today, finally we can get the best of both worlds as improvements in IPS panel technology, monitor technology, 144 Hz and ULMB have managed to get IPS panel response / lag times down to manageable levels. It's not perfect as yet... ULMB only works at up to 100Hz as response times are still not as low as TN .... but overall, the 100 Hz Predator looks better than the 120 Hz Asus.

But at $720, it doesn't come cheap. IPS is superior to TN if you have the budget.... but a $250 IPS gaming monitor will not match up well with a $250 TN monitor. And I don't think ya wanna spend more than that on a temporary monitor.

If ya look at those same images for the 144 Hz Acer IPS X270HU Predator w/ ULMB, the Swift gets taken down...it also has betetr lag times which is the reason TFT central stated

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/acer_xb270hu.htm

Move over Asus ROG Swift PG278Q, in our opinion we've got a new king of gaming monitors!

One other thing I'd mention ... with the replacements for Z97 and DC CPUs (4690k/4790k) now out, the value of Z97 / DC just dropped. Yes, the new stuff is better faster but it's all new 1st stepping stuff. What that means is the folks buying now will find a few bugs, the CPU and MoBo integrated citcuits will go thru some minor mods, performance tweaks will be made and new and improved stuff will be out by November. If you have planned a Z170 based build, you may want to hold off until that takes places.... In the end...

a) Better components (2nd and 3rd steppings) will be available
b) Prices will drop
c) Black Friday sales will be in full swing
d) Your temporary monitor conundrum will vanish as between the cost savings and extra time to save, the money shortage will be gone

I was in the same boat 2 years ago while waiting for the case I wanted (Enthoo Primo) to drop.... kept getting delayed and I almost went with my original choice (900D). When my chosen board had issues with the C1 stepping, I kinda lucked out because by the time Ithe case dropped, C2 boards were out and they weren't aflficted with the defect.

TV & monitors are not the same, yes. But what do you mean by?

RCA 26" = 3'5" – 9'10
Best Buy 26" = 3.3' – 6.5'
Crutchfield 26"= 3.25' – 5.5'

26" 1920x1080 LCD's? I don't see the problem here. Following ergonomics doesn't work, sitting down is bad as it is, standing is the best you can do, not sitting down. It's just something bad that's floating around, there is no "best" way to sit down infront of your computer, that's all bs. The TV=Monitor viewing distance works just fine, I really don't see any problems with it. If someone sits closer than 3' from a 27" 1080 monitor, you're only putting more eye strain, as well being able to see SDE if you happen to move even closer. Also, the picture you posted above about ergo isn't the correct way of viewing a display. You want to have your eyes right above the middle, not above the display itself looking down.

1920x1080 27"

With a visual acuity of 20/20, turns into retina at or after 3.5 feet, so 42 inches away.

3.5 * 12 = 42
42 / 1.5 = 28

28" display = 3.5' away from it. Sounds right to me. What am I missing? Perhaps you found a DLP calculator, because it's not using pixels? I don't know, but I believe this is the proper way of doing it, rather than rely on opinions.