Noob question about connecting a monitor with an HDMI cable.

inmc55555

Reputable
May 6, 2015
I'm looking into setting up dual monitors through my graphics card. I have one monitor plugged in through a DVI-I port. I only have one DVI-D port and one HDMI port remaining on the graphics card, and I found out that if I want to hook a monitor up to the DVI-D port, I need an analog/digital adapter, which cost around 30 bucks. I'm cheap, so I want to see if I can use the HDMI port instead.

I found out that the monitor I'm trying to connect has an HDMI port on it. I figured I could theoretically connect the HDMI on the monitor to the HDMI on the graphics card. No signal conversion required, and the cable will cost less than 10 bucks. Could this be done? Or will I have to stick to buying a VGA/DVI-D adapter?

inmc55555

Reputable
May 6, 2015

You probably aren't missing anything. My only concern is if a signal from a VGA cable would conflict in any way with a signal from an HDMI cable.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I have, currently, 2x dual monitor builds going, mine and my wife's. I have her monitors hdmi/VGA and mine is dvi/VGA. (still in the process of saving up for 2x more decent monitors)

Hdmi/VGA works just fine, but you will notice differences in color and timing. My hdmi/dvi monitors are slower on startup and much cleaner, clearer and more colorful and bright than the old VGA. This isn't an issue, its just the way it is.

Edit. Forgot to mention that while her main monitor is hdmi input, the gpu output is dvi-d. The cable cost $6, no adapter needed. When I had both good monitors, both were gpu-dvi, 1 input hdmi (monitor has no dvi input), 1 input dvi. Worked like a champ.