My First Builld (Need Help)

bofunk_gaming

Reputable
Aug 28, 2015
Hello to my fellow hardware friends,
After much debate and lying to myself about building a pc, I am finally going to do so. When I started looking I was just randomly searching things I will need. I got smart a few weeks ago and said "why don't I look up other first time builds?" so I did. I found cheap builds, expensive builds, low performance builds and intense powerhouse builds. I still couldn't find what I was looking for. I mean I had some idea of what processing power I wanted and what my pc was going to be intended for. I found a few things I wanted at first from some of the builds I searched. Then my friend told me about the amazing site http://pcpartpicker.com and wow, it helped a lot with finding compatibility errors and knowing what to get and where for the best price. All of that is fine and dandy, but that doesn't really help me with my first build. Now I will be ordering all my parts over a course of 2-3 months so I wont be building it right away. Although it would be nice to have some input from the Tom's Hardware geniuses. So ill list the parts and all that jazz so you can have an idea what im getting my self into. I am wanting a gaming/video rendering/live streaming computer.

PARTS:
CPU- Intel Core i5-4690S 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU COOLER- SilenX EFZ-80HA3 36.0 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler
MOTHERBOARD- MSI Z97-Gaming 3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
MEMORY- Kingston HyperX Fury Red 8GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory
STORAGE- Kingston Savage 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
STORAGE- Western Digital Scorpio Blue 1TB 2.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
GRAPHICS CARD- MSI GeForce GTX 960 4GB Video Card
POWER SUPPLY- Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
All wrap in a beautiful:
CHASSIS- NZXT Phantom 410 (Red) ATX Mid Tower Case

As for a monitor I know I want a 144hz but ill have to do some looking around. If you have any advice on how to handle the process of installing or better bang for buck things please comment or message me. Thanks in advance for your help. look forward to posting "IT IS COMPLETE"
- BoFuNk

What is your budget for the build? Do you want the option of overclocking the processor (I would suggest it)? I would suggest the I5-4690K over the I5-4690S version. It is faster and overclockable for an extra$10.

I would avoid the Corsair CX series all together. They are well known for being problematic with poor quality components.

I would recommend a Seasonic, XFX, or EVGA power supply instead.

Plus since this is a totally new system, I would suggest looking into the new Intel Skylake I5-6600K processor. Particularly since you aren't planning on a near term assembly. It has the advantage of a new platform, which adds to the future proofing aspect.

It would require a different motherboard and memory.

Intel Core i5-6600K 6M Skylake Quad-Core 3.5GHz LGA 1151 95W BX80662I56600K Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 530

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117561