Good cheap gaming 150€ monitor (AOC I2369VM vs Samsung S24E390HL)

NnelK

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2013
Hello, i'm looking for a good cheap gaming monitor. Response time should be between 1ms to 5ms (it really doesn't matter because the difference is so small). TN monitor don't have so good colors as IPS and PLS so i think i would get IPS or PLS.. I was looking at AOC I2369VM and Samsung S24E390HL. Which one is better?

What i've read so far is that IPS should be better than PLS but it's response time is slower. Does the 1ms really matter?

I'm mostly a casual gamer who want's a good gaming monitor for any type of games.

Solution
Both monitors are great choices, both you shouldn't have any issues with, but when it comes down to the choice all your really comparing is what you like the look of. PLS is Samsungs 'cheaper' alternative to IPS, but that doesn't make it any better nor worse to an IPS display. If you don't like the colours of the monitor,you simply just calibrate it. If choosing between the two, either choose the cheaper one or the one that you like the look of better.

spagalicious

Distinguished
When manufacturers claim 1ms response/lag times, it is just marketing. Some of the fastest displays out there are still only capable of 2ms measured response times and ~3ms combined latency times (signal proc + response time). At this price point you will really be limited to 60Hz refresh rates so if you are looking for a definitive "gaming" monitor, it won't be in your budget range unfortunately. However, a quality 24" 1080P IPS 60Hz panel can be had in this price range which will lend itself to giving you the best possible experience in your allotted budget.

That said, it is hard to compare prices in the US to euro prices. The Samsung you metioned is $200 on the US Newegg and the AOC is $140. What website are you looking to purchase from? A good rule of thumb is to buy panels from reputable brands in common formats and display types.Avoid cheap TN and VA panels. 24" 1080P IPS from ASUS, ACER, AOC, Dell, or Samsung are all good choices.

Both monitors are great choices, both you shouldn't have any issues with, but when it comes down to the choice all your really comparing is what you like the look of. PLS is Samsungs 'cheaper' alternative to IPS, but that doesn't make it any better nor worse to an IPS display. If you don't like the colours of the monitor,you simply just calibrate it. If choosing between the two, either choose the cheaper one or the one that you like the look of better.

Solution