Acquiring Windows 10 for clean installing on a new SSD

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnD13

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2012
I currently have Windows 7 64bit Home Edition installed on my PC's hard drive and just purchased a new SSD to clean install Windows 10 on. Since this is a new drive, the basic upgrade functionality is not eligible unless I re-install(or migrate) my Windows 7 on the SSD and then upgrade and clean install Windows 10. (option a)

Is there a way to download Windows 10 64bit(Home edition will be fine) from Microsoft and create a bootable USB drive and then use it on the brand new SSD(by using my current win 7 key maybe???)? Or is this process only for upgrades? (option b)

I wanted to download the new Windows from my university(we get them for free) for a clean-install but they offer the Education edition which is packed with features I won't be needing so I'm looking for a more basic version. Unless the Education edition is exactly the same(UI etc) and I just can ignore the other features. Anybody know? (option c)

So the question is, which is the best route for getting a clean installation of Windows 10 on my new SSD?

Solution
If you want the Upgrade, you have to upgrade the current Windows 7 install first, then do a clean install on the SSD. You can't install it on a brand new drive first.

Since your Option C is free from school, I'd consider investigating that. It costs nothing except an afternoon to try. Put it on the SSD and see what happens. If it comes with too much weirdness, start over and do your option A.

USAFRet

Titan
If you want the Upgrade, you have to upgrade the current Windows 7 install first, then do a clean install on the SSD. You can't install it on a brand new drive first.

Since your Option C is free from school, I'd consider investigating that. It costs nothing except an afternoon to try. Put it on the SSD and see what happens. If it comes with too much weirdness, start over and do your option A.

Solution

JohnD13

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2012

You mean upgrade to Windows 10 on my current hard drive(where win 7 is located) and then clean install on the SSD by creating a bootable installation drive with the key I'll get from upgrading?

USAFRet

Titan

Yes, mostly. But there is no 'key' involved. Download the MediaCreation tool and obtain the ISO file to burn to a DVD or USB.
Once the system has been upgraded to Win 10, the mothership knows that particular system is valid with Win 10.
Swap the drives out and clean install on the SSD.

JohnD13

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2012

So there will be no prompt for a Windows Installation Key during the clean install on the SSD? Or if I ever want to format my system?

USAFRet

Titan

If it appears, click 'Skip'

JohnD13

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2012

After a quick search, it appears that you are right. Upon upgrading to Windows 10 there is no Activation Key or is maybe tied to your Microsoft account so there probably won't be any case of unactivated product.

Thank you for your input, I will try it out in the next few days and get back to you with the result. :)

JohnD13

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2012

Then it probably just recognizes your system via motherboard bios info.

USAFRet

Titan

Exactly.

Status
Not open for further replies.