Upscaling 1080p to 4k for youtube

gotovato

Reputable
Nov 15, 2014
hey all, ever since linus did his video about upscaling 1080p to 4k for youtube to allow the video to be played back at a higher bitrate so itll look better on a 1080p screen if the viewer selects the 4k option I have been messing around with this. I have here a clip recorded at 1080p60fps with shadowplay and ive upscaled it to 4k as a tester. its nothing special, simply a test clip taken from a longer gameplay video. I would like to share this with everyone and get opinions and feedback. does the video actually look better viewed at 4k on a 1080p screen? what do you guys think? I personally do notice a difference as ive never been happy with the way youtube butchers quality. anyways let me know what you think and if you want to know how I did it or the settings I used just ask! thanks all!!

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yO2puLgD_t4

gotovato

Reputable
Nov 15, 2014
ok so there is improvement. I'm guessing my quality bottleneck is the bitrate shadow play records at. 50mbps it's probably not enough. If I could record at a higher bitrate I'm sure it would look even better