Multiple problems with activating clean Windows 10 install

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twisted14

Reputable
Dec 30, 2014
Hi guys, hoping somebody can help me out. I'll start by going through exactly what I have done to upgrade to Windows 10 and begin a clean install.

1. I had Windows 8.1 Pro on my HDD and upgraded to Windows 10 Pro last week. I'm looking at it right now and it is indeed the Pro version and is also activated.

2. Yesterday I purchased a 250gb SSD with the intention of making it my main drive.

3. I downloaded the Windows media creation tool and created a bootable USB drive with Windows 10 Pro on it.

4. I installed my SSD into my PC and unplugged my other 2 HDDs (one being a 1TB drive for games etc,)

5. I plugged in my USB drive and began the Windows 10 clean install and successfully completed this process while also skipping the part where you put in a product key, as you're supposed to do.

6. I've plugged in my other HDDs again and started using Windows 10 on my SSD. My intention is to copy stuff over from my old HDD and format it once I'm done, turning it into storage.

7. I have this morning noticed that Windows 10 on my SSD has not been activated

8. I tried activating it but it gives me the error code 0xC004C003. I have no options to activate this installation.

9. I have also noticed that it has installed Windows 10 Home instead of Pro as I thought I installed.

10. I then tried formatting the SSD and installing Windows 10 again, this time with my old HDDs still plugged in, as I thought that maybe to activate properly it needs to see that Windows 10 is still there. I don't think that this is the case though as I've read a bit more online, but it still isn't activating and I still have no options.

I have unplugged my SSD for now so I could get back into my HDD install to look around some more. I'm also creating the bootable USB again and made sure, once again, that it is downloading Windows 10 Pro.

I don't really understand what is going on or why. I'm hoping that someone can help me out. I'm not sure if I messed up somewhere...

Thanks for taking the time to read, and thanks in advance for any help.

Solution
Having Windows 8.1 Pro doesn't mean that the upgrade will automatically be Windows 10 Pro -- the two are completely separate. The quickest way to resolve this is by calling Microsoft customer support. From there, they'll activate Windows 10 Pro for you if you're still having problems.

Basically, it boils down to this: Want to wait hours for someone to help you solve this, or expedite the process by calling Microsoft? The choice is yours.

itmoba

Reputable
Aug 14, 2015
Having Windows 8.1 Pro doesn't mean that the upgrade will automatically be Windows 10 Pro -- the two are completely separate. The quickest way to resolve this is by calling Microsoft customer support. From there, they'll activate Windows 10 Pro for you if you're still having problems.

Basically, it boils down to this: Want to wait hours for someone to help you solve this, or expedite the process by calling Microsoft? The choice is yours.

Solution

Twisted14

Reputable
Dec 30, 2014

Thanks for the reply. I've been looking around a bit more and it appears that some people have had the activation issue resolved pretty quickly by contacting Microsoft. I just wasn't sure if my issue is the same.

Also as I said, the current version I'm using on my HDD is Windows 10 Pro as you can see below.

si1Evux.png

It's just confusing. I'll keep looking around a little. I might try another re-install. But I'll probably end up calling Microsoft soon.

Twisted14

Reputable
Dec 30, 2014
Alright so after I created the bootable USB again, I decided to just try a fresh install again just to see what might happen. Turns out, it worked!

It's possible that when I originally created it, I must have accidentally selected Home. I'm so sure that I selected Pro but it's possible I clicked the wrong one.

Now I finally have Windows 10 Pro installed and it activated straight away! I can finally enjoy my new SSD.

I was quite ready to contact Microsoft, but I'm glad I didn't have to.

Thanks for the replies itmoba, it's much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.