Possible to apply a polarizing filter to a 2D screen for passive side by side 3D?

GoldenSun3DS

Reputable
Jan 3, 2015
I know that passive 3D monitors work by using polarizing filters so that each eye sees different things.

But would it be possible to apply a polarizing filter ontop of a 2D screen to turn it into side by side 3D by wearing polarizing 3D glasses?

Essentially the idea is for the left side of the screen to be one filter type and the right side to be another filter type, which would theoretically result in glassesless, cross-eyed-free 3D on any 2D screen, but with halved horizontal resolution (not much of a problem for 4K).

I found this website, but it's in German and I don't know if Google Translate translated it correctly:
Awater3d.com

Reason I ask is because I have a 4K monitor and I know of at least 2 Steam games that can do side by side 3D (Trine 1&2).

But if this requires modifying the monitor beyond applying something ontop of the screen, I'll just forget about it.

BrandonYoung

Reputable
Oct 13, 2014
Correct me if I'm wrong, but side by side 3d is the result of crossing your eyes to form a single image from two images. Filter or not, glasses or not, if two images are side by side, you need to cross your eyes or have some type of visual adapter (mirrors and lenses).

Another issue, if you are polarizing the screen in two different polarities, you would need some type of equal polarization on glasses to have the effect you are looking for, again, I may be misunderstanding you. This would also require that you crossed your eyes, even if only one eye could see one side of the screen. I couldn't imagine this would be comfortable for extended viewing, but at least you would not see the "ghost" images to the left and the right sides of the merged cross-eyed image.