Computer wont boot and stuck at bios screan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jnmatthews9614

Reputable
Jul 15, 2015
So my pc just started having this problem and exscuse me if this isnt the proper place to post.

The Problem: Basically when i go to turn on the PC it turns on and gets stuck on the screen where it tells me to push DEL or f2 to go to the bios settings. The problem with that is it wont let me access the settings at all when i push either of those buttons. So then I turn my PC off and then on again and it boots fine. Then I check for updates to see if it's some bug and I'm up to date. So I restart to see if the problem has been fixed. And it gives me the same frozen screen of the BIOS options. Then i turn it off and it boots fine, wash and repeat. Same thing happened four times in a row so i decided to just post on here to see if anyone has any thoughts.

Build:

CPU- i5 4790k
GPU- MSI GTX 970
MOBO- Asus Z97
RAM- Corsair Vengeance 2X8 GB
PSU- Corsair 650 watt
Memory- Samsung SSD 120GB, Western Digital Black 2 TB

I've had this build for a few months with no problems until now and it just started. Any thoughts?
Thank you for any help!

Solution
Yes, fast restart. Leave it off. It's related to hibernation, not sleep, and is problematic on ALL systems. I recommend leaving it OFF even if it doesn't solve THIS problem.

Other ideas, go into the BIOS, reset to default settings, save settings and boot into windows. If you can't do that, take the side panel off the computer, remove the CMOS battery for about three minutes then reinstall the battery and then either boot into the bios or windows. It sounds like USB initialization during startup is disabled in the BIOS.

jnmatthews9614

Reputable
Jul 15, 2015

Now I didn't find a "fast restart", but I found a "fast startup". If this is what you were referring to I turned it off and tried it and I'm still getting the same result. I attempt to turn it on, no luck; I turn it off and turn it on again and it boots. Ps, idk if this makes a difference but my peripherals don't work for about the first 30 seconds or so on the login screen, when I do get it to boot. Any other ideas?

Yes, fast restart. Leave it off. It's related to hibernation, not sleep, and is problematic on ALL systems. I recommend leaving it OFF even if it doesn't solve THIS problem.

Other ideas, go into the BIOS, reset to default settings, save settings and boot into windows. If you can't do that, take the side panel off the computer, remove the CMOS battery for about three minutes then reinstall the battery and then either boot into the bios or windows. It sounds like USB initialization during startup is disabled in the BIOS.

Solution

jnmatthews9614

Reputable
Jul 15, 2015

Sorry, did I disable the right thing or is fast startup the wrong setting? If it's the wrong setting then where do I find the correct one exactly? And I will try the other things you recommend.

Glad to hear the CMOS battery did the trick. Thing is about that, is sometimes your bios just needs to refresh the Extensible firmware interface data tables, which tells the OS boot loader how and what is going on. Changes in hardware or drivers can affect things and refreshing the UEFI bios tables often snaps it out of it. That's the simple explanation. A more detailed explanation can be found on Wikipedia by searching for UEFI bios, or some limited info is available here:

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/96985-demystifying-uefi-the-long-overdue-bios-replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.