fails to update to windows 10!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vogner16

Honorable
Jan 27, 2014
3 times ive tried to upgrade my windows 7 pro to windows 10 pro and 3 times it has failed at 57% ( installing drivers and software middle portion). results in bluescreen then reboots says trying to recover install and blue screen again then it goes back to windows 7 and boots right up.

If I try to clean install to windows 10 it says key not valid ( using my win 7 pro key)

Ive tried to install from the little icon on the bottom of my screen, from a usb 3.0 made with windows 10 usb maker tool, and a usb 2.0 from the same tool ALL FAIL!

ive got an 8350 1tb ssd, 16gb ram 7970 gpu fully loaded system top end from 2012 and it wont go!

any ideas before I just give Microsoft an hour phone call?

Solution
create a fresh install of win 7 sp1 with your windows key. on a drive with a fresh partition.
install win 7 with just the bare minimum requirement of sp1. by using custom install option and disabling updates during the install.
you then go to update windows and select sp1 from the ist of available updates.
1s done validate your windows and reboot. https://www.microsoft.com/genuine/validate
load up the windows 10 download app.
run it. it will download the windows isntall.
run the installer
choose the upgrade option.
then custom install
use a local account and turn off all the telemetry options you can find.
windows will then contact m.s and validate your win 10 install.

after this you can do a fresh install of windows 10 if you want...
create a fresh install of win 7 sp1 with your windows key. on a drive with a fresh partition.
install win 7 with just the bare minimum requirement of sp1. by using custom install option and disabling updates during the install.
you then go to update windows and select sp1 from the ist of available updates.
1s done validate your windows and reboot. https://www.microsoft.com/genuine/validate
load up the windows 10 download app.
run it. it will download the windows isntall.
run the installer
choose the upgrade option.
then custom install
use a local account and turn off all the telemetry options you can find.
windows will then contact m.s and validate your win 10 install.

after this you can do a fresh install of windows 10 if you want and it will automatically activate.
until do it this way win 10 wont have a valid key.

Solution

Vogner16

Honorable
Jan 27, 2014

what a pain I only have a few clarifications on this.

do I "genuineize" the win 7 pro install before I do the auto win 10 update?
once I do get it to do a full good install of win 10 do I run belark or something to get the win 10 pro key and use that key as a fresh install key?

I would like to just do the upgrade to my current system ive got a lot of programs ive installed that would be a pain to find again and install. id like the upgrade to work without loosing my current config im missing where I do this part. I understand how a fresh could be done now though.

yes make sure windows is genuine before you try the upgrade install.

no your key is stored at microsoft. as soon as win 10 activates off the upgrade install. you can then fresh install without a key any time after..
you just clean install and when windows restarts it will go online and look up your activation off the previous win 10 install.
the same will happen every time you fresh install in the future assuming you dont upgrade the motherboard any time soon.

the key is tied to the motherboards mac address by what i understand. so change that you will need a new key and you wont be able to use the old win 7 install key then upgrade again. the win 7 key you previously used will expire 1 month after you install win 10.. so you can roll back within 1 month if your not happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.