Windows 10 Crashing after Login

Status
Not open for further replies.

circaterp

Reputable
Sep 14, 2015
For awhile now I've been having issues where my built computer was shutting down abruptly and instantly.

I had this issue for a while with Windows 8.1 and figured that it was due to an NVidia driver issue since I was getting the common nvldmmkm.sys error. I upgraded to Windows 10 with a clean install across all drives (formatting my secondary HDD and the primary SSD), and I am still getting the issue. It will cut out mostly as soon as I sign in and make it past the login screen. Otherwise, it'll take about a minute or two and shut off.

It's an AMD build with the following specs:

AMD F8-6600k APU with AMD Radeon HD 8570D graphics
Asus A78m-a
Corsair RAM
Samsung EVO 840 SSD
Western Digital 2TB HDD

Slashgeek

Admirable
If this problem is experienced even after a clean install from fresh installation media on a formatted drive, then one can rule out software problems. Try running your PC with only one stick of RAM each, testing the next stick if you get another BSOD.

circaterp

Reputable
Sep 14, 2015

I will try that when I get home from work.

Is it at all possible that this could be a driver issue with AMD? If I boot into Safe Mode, the computer does not experience the problem. Sorry - forgot to mention that in the initial post.

Slashgeek

Admirable

Wait a minute. Why do you have nVIDIA drivers on an AMD build?

circaterp

Reputable
Sep 14, 2015
I was trying to use an old NVidia Geforce GTX 660 as the card since I upgraded to the 970 in my primary build. I started receiving errors not too long after that so I took out the card and reinstalled Windows. Now there is no NVidia card/drivers and I am still getting the issue.

circaterp

Reputable
Sep 14, 2015
Thanks!

I'll report back when I try it when I get home. Is this something that I can run in Safe Mode?

Also, is it possible that the NVidia drivers persisted after a clean install?

Status
Not open for further replies.