No audio through displayport - monitor recognized as Generic PNP in Device Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

iliketortoises

Reputable
Sep 14, 2015
I am running Windows 10 Pro 64-bit on a Lenovo T420 laptop and use the following two monitors in extended display mode:
1.) ASUS PA238Q connected via DisplayPort (Primary Display)
2.) Samsung Syncmaster 245BW connected via DVI (Secondary Display)

The display of the monitors works perfectly, it's just that when I start windows, the audio comes through my laptop speakers. Under "Playback devices", it lists the ASUS as "Not plugged in." If I either power-cycle my ASUS or disconnect and re-connect the displayport cable, the monitor is detected as plugged in under "playback devices" and the audio comes through the speakers attached to the ASUS monitor. I have a Intel HD Graphic 3000 card and the Intel HD graphics app correctly recognized my monitors by their true model #. Device Manager has my laptop display (LCD 1600x900), SyncMaster 245B/245BW/245BPlus(Digital) and Generic PnP Monitor listed (instead of ASUS PA238Q). There do not seem to be any drivers for the ASUS monitors off their site that I could find. Does anybody know what might be wrong here? Thanks.

Solution
Monitors don't have drivers, ever. They have Extended display identification data and generally even when showing only as PnP devices, work perfectly fine. The sound most especially would have nothing to do with the monitors themselves unless there were blown speakers or a failed audio circuit on the monitor. Probably not the case.

It's more likely that it's an audio or GPU driver issue. Most probably a GPU driver issue. Or, the fact that most laptops don't carry the audio over the graphics connections, however, your user manual explicitly states that your model does carry the audio signal over the displayport connection. I'd run the DDU and install the most recent HD3000 drivers from the Intel website. Be sure to run the DDU as...
Monitors don't have drivers, ever. They have Extended display identification data and generally even when showing only as PnP devices, work perfectly fine. The sound most especially would have nothing to do with the monitors themselves unless there were blown speakers or a failed audio circuit on the monitor. Probably not the case.

It's more likely that it's an audio or GPU driver issue. Most probably a GPU driver issue. Or, the fact that most laptops don't carry the audio over the graphics connections, however, your user manual explicitly states that your model does carry the audio signal over the displayport connection. I'd run the DDU and install the most recent HD3000 drivers from the Intel website. Be sure to run the DDU as "Intel" in the option that is at the top of the main window when it opens.

I'd do this first:
http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2767677/clean-graphics-driver-install-windows.html

And after installing the newest drivers, do this:

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2763685/stop-windows-automatically-updating-device-drivers.html

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.