1080p IPS Upgrade to... 1440p IPS? Non-IPS? Help!

Fineus_

Reputable
Jul 9, 2015
Hi all,

I have a 24 inch 1080p Dell UltraSharp IPS monitor which I'm very happy with. It's used for basic browsing, gaming and photo editing in Adobe Lightroom.

It's for that last use that I went with an IPS monitor above others.

I've just upgraded to a new system with a GTX 980Ti monitor and am looking at whether a monitor upgrade would be worthwhile now.

4K seems to be coming on, but is quite pricey and the 980Ti probably couldn't handle it in ANY detail - and I want to keep setting everything in games to 'ultra' for the foreseeable future. So I'm looking at 1440p IPS displays as a natural upgrade whilst not being so ridiculous that I have frame rate issues again.

In particular something like this...

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/27-dell-u2715h-monitor-ips-panel-2560x1440-6ms-350cd-m-dp-mdp-hdmi-black

Is that a good upgrade option for my needs (gaming / image editing in particular)? Is there anything else I should consider?

Definitely a worthwhile upgrade! The 1440p "stepping-stone" is a logical choice, having a single-GTX 980 Ti. It would be such a waste of a card if you'll continue lingering in the 1080p zone. I'll try to look for some more upgrade options on the monitor (with a better price if I'm lucky to find one). If you're going to ask me, I'll stick with IPS.

Fineus_

Reputable
Jul 9, 2015

That's really helpful, thank you! If you do come across any good IPS options then please do let me know... (I think it's worth sticking with IPS, given my photo editing needs...)

TBH the Dell looks a great option - I know it's not the be all / end all but I like the straightforward, traditional office styling of it. I'm not a fan of glossy monitor covers with curvy edges etc - just a minimal bezel and muted matt colours as much as possible. I want to notice the screen, not the monitor (if that makes sense!)

IPS beats TN in literally every spec today. We probably will never see a 1080/144 IPS. The big brands are busy milking the consumers with their fake spec sheets. By the time 4k becomes mainstream, we'll already have OLED. 2.5k is great, but is the extra resolution really worth it? I suggest calibrating your current display, then make up your mind. IPS from factory is always going to have either red, green or blue tints. 99% of people don't calibrate their displays, be a part of that 1%.

Here are some of the options you can consider (all cheaper than your initially-posted Dell U2715H):

AOC Q2770PQU 60Hz 27.0" Monitor (£307.52 @ Scan)
Review
er_photo_222043.jpg

BenQ GW2765HT 60Hz 27.0" Monitor (£294.01 @ Amazon.co.uk)
Review
top.jpg

Acer CB270HU 60Hz 27.0" Monitor (£270.32 @ Scan)
Official UK Site
CB270HU_gallery_02.png

Asus PB278QR 60Hz 27.0" Monitor (£377.12 @ Scan)
Review
967919_0__62315.jpg

Hope these suggestions help.