PSU Upgrade in a Dell with aftermarket cable?

Mdavenport

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2010
Hi,

I am after some advise and not knowing much about power supplies, 12v rails etc.. I wanted to ask the people who do.

I have a Dell T1700 tower that has a 365w PSU in it. I want to swap this out for a 750w PSU so I can install maybe a GTX 970. Currently I am running a GTX 750Ti but this is about the most I can get away with on this PSU.

My usage is Microsoft Flight Sim X which I know is CPU bound (and am limited here with the Mother Board and CPU - i7 4790 (non-k). However everyone I speak to suggests upgrading the PSU - not sure if this will increase the FPS but I am willing to try this being as I think I have a solution - read on...

My biggest problem is that its a Dell and generally not upgradeable. I have discovered an ATX PSU isn’t compatible with the T1700 (I think my Motherboard has an 8-pin and I think a 6 pin). I believe it will physically fit but the cable connectors are incorrect as an ATX comes with a 24 pin.

I came across this site from someone on the Dell forums. They claim the supplier to sell an adapter that makes it compatible with ATX PSUs:-

http://www.moddiy.com/products/Dell-OptiPlex-T1700-PSU-Main-Power-24%252dPin-to-8%252dPin-Adapter-Cable-%2830cm%29.html

My question is will this actually work?

If so I was planning to get a CS750S PSU? Or I had seen a EVGA 750w that looked reasonable but giving I don't know a lot about PSU's and actually if this will work in my system I wanted to ask for help....? My budget is around £100.

Thanks

Excellent find on http://www.moddiy.com/products/Dell-OptiPlex-T1700-PSU-Main-Power-24%252dPin-to-8%252dPin-Adapter-Cable-%2830cm%29.html

This is the only way, i know about this site.

Another question is actual fit size, sorry for a large picture

IMG_0038.JPG

You have about 9 inches of space between back panel and hard drive cage, can you please measure that distance with measuring tape and post here, so others will benefit as well, please?

Mdavenport

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2010
I did some quick measurements a while ago which I can share now...

Existing PSU
Depth (label side) = 14cm (could take 16cm before something gets in the way - think its a piece of metal...)
Width = 15cm (no room for width increase)
Height = approx 8.5cm - 9.5cm depending on how I measured which can't remember now (no room for increased height)

Looking at a Corsair CS750M's dimensions I think this would fit, whereas a EVGA SuperNova2 is too deep at 18cm.

To connect the new PSU to the existing Motherboard, I assume I need to connect only 2 cables. The 24 pin (converted to 8 pin) and there is another 4 or 6 pin (sorry can't confirm as not in front of it) which I don't know what this is for 12V_PWRCONN FAN_SYS? Do the ATX PSU's come with the 4 pin??

Mdavenport

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2010
Ok understood on the 4 pin connectors but not sure I follow you on the 24 pin concern. Surely this is what the cable converter will fix or is there a possibility it won't work as expected?

Sorry for the confusion on the GPU size.

You did not understand me. The only concern is 8 pin connector, if the one you found works - no concerns at all.

Mdavenport

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2010
Ok thanks.

And from the link and what I have explained does it sound positive that it would work as I don't really understand all the ATX architecture, 12v rails etc. So I am hoping you guys can raise any flags.

Mdavenport

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2010
Well spotted. I also wondered this but put it down to a typo.

Thanks for your honest feedback. I think I will be taking a punt on this and will go for a corsair cs750m.

Is the cs750m a good model to choose?

Mdavenport

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2010
A lot of the tier ones I have looked at seem too deep for my PC so I do wonder if I should just go for the CS750M and hope its stable enough. I don't think I am ever going to really hit this hard given my gaming use being Flight Simulator X and its limits on driving a really high end GPU - but again I would like the option of being able to install one should I move to PrePar3D in the future which I think does use the GPU more.

Is there a PSU that you know will fit that is better than the CS750M?

I understand that you are going for CS due to the costs, correct? GTX 970 requires 28A and a 500W PSU, so you have more than enough.

However, since you stated that your budget is around £100, I would recommend XFX XTR Series P1-650B-BEFX 650W, which is Tier 1 and fit the bill. It is strong enough for GeForce GTX Titan X, so don't worry about 650 watt.

Mdavenport

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2010
It looks like this is about 17cm deep which is too much for me. My existing PSU is 14cm deep and I think at a push I could go to 16cm but I don't believe a 17cm deep one will fit...

Any other recommendation with this depth in mind?

I would much rather get one that you are recommending than one I think as I have no experience with these.

Also, I am happy to go for a 650w if it will power all I need.. :)

Mdavenport

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2010
I just started by comparing all the EVGA ones on the site around 750 to 650w and just looked for the depth being close to what I can get away with.

I assume it will all be compatible with the cable adapter that I have ordered as its standard ATX?

Mdavenport

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2010
UPDATE...

So the adapter cable arrived along with the EVGA Supernova GS 650w. I opened my lid and connected all the required cables (without actually mounting the PSU) to test that it actually work and the good news is that it does!!!

The not so good news though, its that whilst its only about 1.5 to 2cm longer and all should be fine once in position, I have found I can't actually get it in position. On my T1700 inside there is a black plastic clip/handle that is used to hold the side panel in position. The clip slides to the right but so does the other end of the rail it sits on. The problem is the new PSU with it being 1.5 cm longer won't go in between the slider clip and the other end of the rail.

I need to see if I can somehow make this go through and will keep trying. however I do want to ask another question:-

If I can't get it to fit in place, is there any problem is hosting the PSU outside of the PC case and just feed the cables in?

I guess that this will have implications for the cooling and air flow?

I don't use the PC for high end gaming, rather I use it as a flight simulator running FSX and now that I have a decent PSU I was going to look to get a GTX 970.

Let me know your thoughts...

sr2002

Distinguished
May 19, 2009
Mdavenport, can you please update if you actually go the whole thing to work?
If the Super nova didn't work out, which PSU did you choose instead?
Also, did you buy the 8-pin adapter from this sell : moddiycom

I dont have a T1700, but the Poweredge T20, which I've found to have the identical motherboard and surprizingly you're pictures seem to confirm that even the box is identical with the same layout, just different panel accents on the exterior.

I'm planning to do the same. I've bot a GTX 950 SSC EVGA, which fits , but needs an additional power adapter. So'll be buying a new PSU soon.

Mdavenport

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2010
Sr2002,

I successfully finished my project yesterday. I used the 3rd party cable I mentioned and managed to get the EVGA SN 650 to fit once I worked out a way to get it physically in - I had to dislodge the case rail that holds the case shut and then I could bend it out of the way enough to squeeze the PSU in place. I then used the cables that came with the PSU.

I have also now successfully installed a Gigabyte GTX 970 ITX mini which is fed by an 8-pin.

sr2002

Distinguished
May 19, 2009
Thanks for the reply.

If its not too much trouble, can you please post some photos of the adapter when connected to the motherboard and to the ATX plug. That way, once mine arrive I can double check its connections and color coding before actually connecting it to the motherboard.

I'm planning to get the XFX TS 550Watt PSU and my GTX 950 SSC just needs a 6-pin power plug

sr2002

Distinguished
May 19, 2009
I received the Moddiy adapter today in the mail and it looks a little different than the one in picture, could someone please confirm if they had a similar experience and whether this one is the right adapter?

IMG_0586.JPG

There is a pcb at the center under the electrical tape, I'm a little concerned if it's safe to use this cable.