Possible conflict with G.Skill 1.6v DRAM and an Asus P8P67 Pro mobo

DiscoStu570

Reputable
Sep 14, 2015
After many years of finding answers to my problems in other people's threads here, I finally need to make my own. Thanks for all the great work you guys do here.

After upgrading several parts this summer my rig looks like this:

ASUS P8P67 Pro Rev 1.xx Bios version 3602
Intel i5-2500k CPU @ 3.3ghz
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU Heatsink
EVGA Nvidia Geforce GTX 960 4gb superclocked GPU
EVGA SuperNOVA 650 GS PSU
32gb(8x4) G.Skill TridentX DDR3 2133 (Timing 9-11-11-31 CAS Latency 9 1.6v)
and a clean install of windows 10 with updated drivers, the nvidia driver is v355.82.

I started to notice something was wrong when my PC was randomly shutting down when playing MGSV. No blue screen, an abrupt power off and an automatic restart. Sometimes it only took five minutes, sometimes it took a couple hours, but this no longer happens (it may have been due to the fan on my GPU not starting until the unit was already 50c, I have to run nvidia software to override that default; I also presently have the GPU in a different PCI slot than it originally was in). I've been a little hesitant to continue testing because the crashing has stopped, but there are still noticeable stability issues.

Presently, I think the issues I have relate to the memory I bought. Now, VLC is extremely unstable, often crashing between videos or parts of the UI will freeze. Also MGSV acts wierd, textures take noticeably longer to load than they did before. I have a feeling that either A)my system will run great if someone with the proper expertise can advise me on how I should set the voltage of the memory and cpu and what timings and frequency for the memory, or B) I bought memory the wrong memory for my cpu/mobo and I should return it. I researched it and was pretty confident it would work, but I know memory modules are tricky, and I know nothing about how to set them up.

After I post this I am going to restart and check my BIOS for the current settings, which are the optimized defaults. What I've written above are the module's correct settings as listed by Newegg, but the BIOS does not default to them. Currently I believe I'm at 1.6v with a lower frequency and unknown timings. I should add that Windows Memory Diagnostics does not appear to be finding any errors with the memory, which I take as meaning only that the memory isn't damaged; I don't know if it means its compatible or set up correctly.

Update: Presently the memory frequency is 1333MHz, primary timings are 9-9-9-24, dram voltage is 1.515v, cpu voltage ~1.15v.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
The memory should be OK to run the 32GB on hte 2500K are prob going to need a bit of an OC, might try to 4.0 , DRAM voltage to spec and need to raise the MC (memory controller) voltage, believe it's the VCCIO on your mobo to prob about 1.15 or so

DiscoStu570

Reputable
Sep 14, 2015

Thanks for the reply, I'm backing out to my bios now to OC the CPU to 4ghz and look for a VCCIO or memory controller voltage setting to change to 1.15.

DiscoStu570

Reputable
Sep 14, 2015
I'm still seeing a lot of errors in both VLC and Windows Media Player. Sometimes the program crashes, sometimes the video stops but audio continues. Also random blocks of the UI will glitch out to black rectangles, both in these programs and others like Task Manager; it goes away if I rearrange the window, that kind of stuff. Am I right or wrong in thinking that this is a memory issue?

DiscoStu570

Reputable
Sep 14, 2015

Yes mobo and I believe all drivers are up to date. Extreme bugginess and crashing pesists, though apparently only during video play. I changed settings as you suggested, however I am presently running MemTest86 and it says that the memory is running at 1066 mHz, not the 2133 I set it to in the bios. It hasn't found any errors though, I think it'll be done in about an hour.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
Then should be at 2133 and the max bandwidth showing 1333 (667) is a deceptive title, the info shown in Max Bandwidth is actually the basic boot freq from the SPD, i.e. on intial install it can/will boot to 1333, from that point you either set up manually or use (on Intel) XMP) or on AMD you use DOCP, EOCP, AMP, XMP or whatever the mobo supports for auto OC of DRAM..... have more on these and similar questions in my FAQs and Fiction article (which was split into two pieces, links to both can be found here:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2741495/ddr3-faqs-fiction.html

DiscoStu570

Reputable
Sep 14, 2015
Then today I got a BSOD Clock_Watchdog_Timeout. Also I've been noticing weird desktop fragments which seem to be associated with the ASUS AI Suite II software. As I said above, I don't know much about overclocking, so I don't know if these things are or are not connected. But the PC is crashing often enough that it seems like something needs to be changed.

DiscoStu570

Reputable
Sep 14, 2015
Another WHEA_Uncorrectable_Error. I've got a MEMORY.dmp file it produced, any chance I can get somebody to look at it? Also what site do people use to upload this stuff these days?

btw I'm uninstalling ASUS AI Suite II but I had not allowed it to auto OC, I mainly used it to monitor fan speeds.