Is my processor AMD Athlon x4 860k overheating?

FrankUnderwood

Reputable
Aug 31, 2015
Hey

My new system is based on AMD Athlon X4 860k. Yesterday i finished building my new pc and I checked the temperatures using Hardware Monitor and it seems that the CPU temps are around 60-80C, while only watching the temps.

Can any one help please?

Temperature screenshots:
c4e6ea4b52.png

df39d8c876.png

2b1cd6571a.png

MB: gigabyte ga-f2a88xm-hd3
CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860k
GPU: ATI Radeon HD 6450 1 GB
RAM: 4 GB DDR3-1333
PSU: Antec VPF 450W

HW Monitor + AMD Overdrive:
c951cd5de0.png

a329ffd44f.png

9d223296b8.png

711d7c3a5a.png

I did remove the cpu cooler two or three hours after building to see if there were any thermal paste on the cpu cooler and cpu. The thermal paste was neatly divided between the CPU, as well as the thermal paste was still in the square block of the CPU cooler. . So i placed the cpu cooler back.

I made this pc build so i could do gaming, but i am a little scared that the temps will overheat my CPU and i will have a broken pc in a couple of days/weeks or months.

NOTE: i know i need to upgrade my GPU and RAM so i can do gaming, but i first upgraded the motherboard and CPU so to see if everything works. If everything is allright i will add a GPU and extra ram.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
AMD OD is showing excellent thermal margins. I don't see anything wrong with that. 3rd party apps have trouble reading the core temp of APUs like your Athlon. So don't worry about that.
But if you removed the cooler and just replaced it, I would suggest you do it again. This time clean off the old TIM and replace it. Removing/replacing a cooler like you did (with the old TIM) will introduce microscopic air bubbles in the TIM and retard cooling.

FrankUnderwood

Reputable
Aug 31, 2015

In AMD overdrive i constanly see a thermal margin between 41 and 62. Frequently around 48-52. I played a couple of minutes of Hitman Absolution and minimized the game so i can look to AMD Overdrive and i saw that the thermal margin was about 32-42.

When i start the PC and i look to my BIOS i see that it starts at 38 celsius degrees and then i see that its gradually increases to 58-62. But hangs there.

If i feel at the backplate, it doesn't feel too warm. I could hold my fingers for minutes or even hours. It feels warm, but not hot. My laptop with a i5 cpu feels hotter when it mentions 55-60 degrees then my AMD X4 860K. The PC itself feels ice cold.

I downloaded speedfan but there it says that my GPU temperature is 42 degrees cels.
temp 1: 37 degrees cels.
temp 2: 35 degrees cels.
temp 3: -283 degrees cels.
GPU: 44 degrees cels.
Something like that.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2122665/understanding-temperature-amd-cpus-apus.html