CPU Idling at 100 degrees C

Kasper_

Reputable
Sep 16, 2015
Hi,

My CPU 3.4 GHz Intel i5-3570K is currently idling at 100 degrees C, the cooling fan that I have is a Thermaltake water 2.0 Performer:
http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/products-model.aspx?id=C_00001883

I have had this happen before probably around 9 months ago, perhaps less I am unsure. To solve my problem then I re-installed the cooler/pumps and reapplied thermal paste, I tried this again but it does not seem to have sorted the problem. So it is probably the pump or the water inside the cooler that has malfunctioned or gone bad. I am unable to notice the pump but I don't think that I have heard it when I first installed it.

What would you guys suggest, get a 120mm watercooler or go back to air? If the water cooler which one would be recommended?
I thought perhaps this one because it is fairly cheap but am unsure on the quality:
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/msi-dragon-oe3-v298001-all-in-one-watercooler-for-all-intel-and-amd-cpus-with-120mm-radiator-s115x-2

Any help is appreciated.

Kasper_

Reputable
Sep 16, 2015
From what I could tell there was no gap, the screws were tighted as much as I could do them. When I first got the cooler my CPU was Idling at around 40 degrees, which is what makes me think that either the CPU is screwed, or the pump/water in the cooler.

bjsm

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011
Yeah, its hard to tell at this point, do you still have the stock intel cooler? Id be curious to try it out, to figure out if its the cpu itself or the cooler.

Kasper_

Reputable
Sep 16, 2015

Unfortunately I do not. I will try and see if a friend has one I can borrow.
But if it is the faulty cooler, what would you recommend?

bjsm

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011
I personnaly use air cooling on my pc's. Less noise, easier to install no headaches (my opinion). If you don't need crazy overclocking just buy a air cooler thats going to be cheaper than a water cooler i personnaly use the Noctua NH-U9S

Kasper_

Reputable
Sep 16, 2015

Well I changed the cooler and it didn't seem to make a difference.
I noticed that on my motherboard one of the pins was bent so I bent it back as best as I could so perhaps that is the problem but it didn't sure it, or perhaps it was a small amount of thermal paste that was in the socket but I got out as much as I could so it seems to be the only solution is to get a new motherboard and cpu

Kasper_

Reputable
Sep 16, 2015

There was only one bent pin, I don't think I can RMA it as i purchased the board around 2 years ago :(

Kasper_

Reputable
Sep 16, 2015
So I have changed my cooler and thermal paste to no avail, then I purchased a new mobo and cpu and I am still having the same problem and am not sure what else to do

hftvhftv

Distinguished
Ambassador
A CPU can't idle at 100C and not have your PC crash or shutdown to save itself. You probably are reading something wrong especially if there is no performance impact.

It can, my E6500's cooler came loose and for some reason I didn't hear the fan kick up at all, I was idling/gaming at 100c and had no issues what so ever, it was probably throttling to a very low speed but it was Black Ops 2 which is GPU intensive. I only noticed when I pressed the key for my OSD with all the temps on, I then shut down the PC. My point is, it will throttle before it shuts down, and if the throttling is enough to keep at less than the shut off point, it won't shut down.