There is 1 horizontal sound-wave like line when moving the screen in games.

Ricci

Reputable
Sep 2, 2015
Now this is only happening on my Metal Gear Solid 5 game so far. I just recently put my computer together so I only have this game and League of Legends on it.

League doesn't have this horizontal line thats just below the mid point of the screen. But on Metal Gear Solid 5(which I understand is way more graphic dependent than LoL), when my character looks around, the line appears. I thought this was just in the opening cutscene when ur character is opening his eyes and his vision is blurry, but even after when crawling the line shows up again.

Somebody help! I really don't want to continue playing if its screen tearing. I read on an old post here to enable Vsync in the game, and to even turn on triple buffering. In game, the vertical sync is enabled, but I don't know where to turn on triple buffering? I go to my GPU Tweak program and it doesn't say anything about triple buffering anywhere.

Thanks in advance!

Solution

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

That sounds like screen tearing to me. The only way to really eliminate that is to use a Gsync or AMD Freesync (depending on your card) compatible Monitor. You can tweak those settings but it will never be perfect. What kind of monitor are you using, for example business focused monitors with low refresh rates are even worse with this.

Ricci

Reputable
Sep 2, 2015

It's an Asus 144Hz Gaming monitor. so it really shouldn't be doing this.
As for the GPU mine is an Asus GeForce GTX 970

So for this card, how do I use a Gsync or AMD free sync? i have no idea what these two things even are. Im really new to computers so I know very little.

Thank you

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Ok so Gsync may be available, you want to make sure firstly your refresh rate (set in display options, right click on your desktop) is running at 144hz. Most GTX 970 cards use HDMI 2.0 so if you're using that (or a DVI cable) you are limited to 60hz. You need to use a display port cable to both get 144hz, as well as use Gsync.

Solution

Ricci

Reputable
Sep 2, 2015

Oh ok so I need to be using an HDMI cable and not the white DVI cable?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Ricci

Reputable
Sep 2, 2015

Ok your previous advice worked! my monitor was only set to 60Hz. Its now at 144Hz. Thank you so much!

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Ok great that may clear the issue somewhat but for best performance you still want to get the display port cable I linked for you. Its only 12 bucks, totally worth it.

Ricci

Reputable
Sep 2, 2015

and that display cable plugs from the monitor to the gpu or motherboard?
Also, if i use that cable, do I also need the dvi cable connected? or just one or the other?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

You would replace the DVI cable with the display port cable from the GPU to the monitor. Confirm that both the GPU and monitor have that port (I'm 99% sure they do but just be sure), its the rectangular port that should be next to the HDMI port, and then look for a similar one on the monitor.