Is there a way to rollback Itunes to an older version?

Froggman

Reputable
Aug 25, 2015
Im not here to debate what is better or worse. Im simply just sick of where itunes has gone is the past few years. I am here because I like the older 10.6.3 era with coverflow, simplicity, a radio that still worked, direct uncomplicated navigation etc. I have downloaded 10.6.3 from three different websites and during install get a "rollback" error, where basically the bar goes to downloading>installing>complete>error/rollback. At this point, everything that was newly installed is taken off. Has itunes prevented us from rolling back so that we are stuck with their new crap? How can I rollback, and if I can, is this going to be a 50 part 1 hour long process or is it not a big deal? Please no guessing, only responses if you have direct experience rolling back. Thanks guys !

Solution
i'm using itunes 10.7 myself after trying the new version and hating it. yes, i have the old version working perfectly now and yes i ran into the same issue at first as you are now. it is possible to still use the older versions.

not sure if i got it from oldapps or oldversion website.

if i recall correctly, after uninstalling anything apple related running as administrator with antivirus disabled allowed the program to install correctly. after having the newer version your library also will not work so you'll need to delete/rename the library itl file as on https://www.reddit.com/r/jailbreak/comments/2u7ukg as well.

once i got the program installed and the library file recreated (it does this automatically when you delete or rename...
i'm using itunes 10.7 myself after trying the new version and hating it. yes, i have the old version working perfectly now and yes i ran into the same issue at first as you are now. it is possible to still use the older versions.

not sure if i got it from oldapps or oldversion website.

if i recall correctly, after uninstalling anything apple related running as administrator with antivirus disabled allowed the program to install correctly. after having the newer version your library also will not work so you'll need to delete/rename the library itl file as on https://www.reddit.com/r/jailbreak/comments/2u7ukg as well.

once i got the program installed and the library file recreated (it does this automatically when you delete or rename the file then start itunes) everything was kosher.

if you have the files already, its a 3 minute fix.

Solution

Redspice

Reputable
Jan 10, 2016
I didn't understand any of that. I have the same problem as Froggman. My son was adding songs to his friends iPod and it said we needed to upgrade iTunes, so he did, without asking me. We got into a screaming match. I deleted iTunes 12 and downloaded iTunes 10, but like Froggman, I get the 'rollback' error msg. I need step-by-step instructions of what to do to get iTunes 10 to install. Thanks.

if you had read my post above, it lists the instructions.

-uninstall itunes and its supporting programs completely (no, this does not mean you need to delete your library.
-install the version of itunes you want
-delete (or rename) the library .itl file (again, there is a link i provided on this)
-restart itunes

everything should be kosher after that.

Redspice

Reputable
Jan 10, 2016

I tried your solution. It didn't work

Redspice

Reputable
Jan 10, 2016

And didn't want to delete or change anything by mistake. My son is coming over one day soon & see what he can do