Need suggestions for an AMD Carrizo based gaming laptop

Rangan Das

Honorable
Apr 28, 2013
I am looking for a mid-ranged gaming laptop based on the AMD Carrizo. At present, the AMD FX-8800P looks alright with an R7 GPU. I was looking at the HP Envy 15z. However, I would need something that comes with a discrete GPU, which is either R7 M3xx or R9 M3xx series.

Can you guys recommend something that also comes with 16GB RAM and is preferably an HP device?

It would be a lot easier to answer your question if you gave a budget instead of specific hardware.
I'm a little confused as to why you would want a laptop with both strong integrated graphics and a discrete GPU as well.

Carrizo had some potential, but is not currently a good option. Laptops like the Envy 15z limit it to 15w instead of the full 35w. Given how much more efficient current Intel cpus are, it makes much more sense to go with an i3 or i5, both of which will outperform the FX, and a discrete gpu like the GTX 940M or better depending on your budget.

Rather than spending the extra money on 16GB of RAM, you will get better gaming performance by sticking with 8 (or upgrading yourself) and buying a better GPU.